Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2013, 03:31 PM

Default Bussing and/or Assigning multiple tracks to same output negate OTB Summing?

Hi,

Couldn't find the answer after several searches. My question is what affect assigning multiple tracks to the same output (of converter to summing mixer) has on the signal vs. each track having its dedicated output?

Also, if I'm using busses on individual tracks to send several different sources (tracks) to the same AUX input for compression or FX for example, how is this different than using the Auxes on a desk?

I'm asking because I mixed on consoles for years and have been using a summing rig (dangerous 2 bus LT) for recall and flexibility but I'm wondering if the OTB summing is affected by how I'm set up to route out of the DAW via OP assignments and bussing. I hear/sense a big difference from when PT was more or less operated like a multitrack and each source had its own channel on the desk. Trying to get closer to that thing with summing and minimal/no outboard.

BTW, I'm using 24 channels of Aurora converters to the Dangerous with PT10 HD native.

Thanks in advance for any information on this subject!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Bussing and/or Assigning multiple tracks to same output negate OTB Summing?

Quote:
Couldn't find the answer after several searches. My question is what affect assigning multiple tracks to the same output (of converter to summing mixer) has on the signal vs. each track having its dedicated output?
headroom of the output

Quote:
Also, if I'm using busses on individual tracks to send several different sources (tracks) to the same AUX input for compression or FX for example, how is this different than using the Auxes on a desk?
no difference in my book

Hard to say without seeing your routing

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig