Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2006, 06:55 PM

Default MIDI I/O keeps going offline!

I've got a MIDI I/O connected to my system (PTHD 7.1), and the damned thing keeps going offline or losing connection with the computer after random periods of time while I'm working in PT. It seems to be random, sometimes it happens when I'm working with MIDI, sometimes it happens when I'm doing nothing at all.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers and switching USB ports on my PC, to no avail. In order to bring the MIDI I/O back online I have to quit PT and start it again.

Does anyone have any ideas on this, or should I just sell this useless box and get a different MIDI interface?
Old 06-21-2006, 12:42 PM

Default Re: MIDI I/O keeps going offline!

Bump...Anyone have any ideas? If not, can someone at least recommend a good MIDI interface that they're using with their HD rig, so I can trash this useless MIDI I/O and get something that actually works? Thanks!
Old 06-21-2006, 03:30 PM

I have not heard of this happening in any properly installed system. This is not saying you have done anything wrong.

Selling the MIDI I/O would be a mistake IMO, unless at least the most basic troubleshooting has been performed and failed. Even then...

First, have you tried another MIDI i/o box with the exact same USB cable? Same MIDI cables? What type of troubleshooting have you done? The exact steps you have taken?

Are you using the Digi MIDI I/O with a power adapter, or solely via the power from the USB port? If via USB, is it directly from an onboard port, or via a hub? If via the board directly, what brand/model board?

Troubleshooting is an art, so please do not let impatience win if you are not accustomed to performing tasks that require patience and specific order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:42 PM

So far I've tried a different USB cable, different USB ports on the motherboard, and reinstalling the drivers.

I've been using it solely powered from the USB cable and not from the AC adapter, so I guess I'll try that.

It's plugged in directly to the USB port on the motherbaord (Tyan Thunder K8WE). I don't have any other MIDI interfaces to try, so I don't currently have that option.

At this point, the only thing left I can think to try is use the AC adapter and see if that helps. Otherwise, I don't know what else to do.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:25 PM

Hi!
OK- it might simply require an adapter to power. It is a hog.

If that fails, I would suggest trying it on another machine. This would help to establish if it is an equipment failure, and not your system. If it failed on another machine known ot be in good working order, I would speak to the point of sales.

One question I forgot: Is this a new MIDI I/O? Or a used purchase? Or a unit you have owned, and only recently had this issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:15 PM

I'll give it a try and see what happens, thanks.

I bought it used, so I suppose there could be something wrong with it. In any case I'll try your suggestions and report back.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:21 PM

This use to happen on my system also.

I'm on HP xw9300(Opteron processors)/ ProTools HD 3 Accel / Windows XP sp2 / v7.1 cs7.
The MIDI i/o would always go offline. An error would appear saying that it lost connection......

My MIDI i/o is on a 4 port USB 1.1 extender (GEFEN) that is extended from the host computer with a 50 feet LAN cable. The Extender is powered, but the MIDI i/o is not.

DigiDesign in Japan has said that this was a bug in ProTools that happens with this specific HP machine.

I called tech support in the U.S., although they had heard from Digi in Japan, it had not been addressed as a serious problem.
I guess the more customers call in for a certain problem, it sets the level of priority.

Anyway I can't say for sure yet, if this is going to solve the problem,
however you might want to try installing the latest ProTools v7.1 cs8 (Windows XP) which can be downloaded from the Digi Support page.

After I installed this update 2 days ago, The MIDI i/o seemed to have a solid connection.
The error hasn't appeared on me so far.

Tomio
Old 06-22-2006, 04:52 PM

That's very interesting. My system is based on the spec of the same HP machine, and the motherboard has the same specs and chipset. Could be something based on that. In any case, I'll try installing the latest cs version and see if that helps. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:54 PM

I guess the 7.1 cs8 didn't solve it.
The error appeared again.

This time it happened, after I shut the machine down and powered it up again.
The next thing I am going to try is to add a power supply to the MIDI i/o.

In any case it might help if you call DigiTech support and tell them that you are having the same trouble.
The more users call in, the better chance it will be addressed.