Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2009, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Mac user want's to switch to PC: Got questions...

Hi Eric,
Soundblade and Barbatch look cool. I've never used any of those apps. I just Mix tv shows for a living. As far as PT is concerned, I use keytweak to remap the modifier keys on my XP keyboard. Cntl to alt, alt to windows, and windows to cntl. You'll have every key command except one exactly in the same position on the keyboard as a mac. Hope this helps with that. I freelance all around LA working on Macs everyday and I could never relearn key commands. I couldn't live with windows without this.
Best,
Brandon
Old 01-25-2009, 09:03 AM

Default Re: Mac user want\'s to switch to PC: Got questions...

Tell u what. Simply run bootcamp on your mac and install windows xp anfld pt.
Then work with it a day or two. And decide.

I did this a week ago and I can tell u this. You become acustomed to luxury on on osx. Windows is old school slow way of working. I. Went,screamingly, back to osx and embraced being back in the world of luxury.
Pt itself runs nice but windows filehandling and strcture is a dawg.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
Tell u what. Simply run bootcamp on your mac and install windows xp anfld pt.
Then work with it a day or two. And decide.

I did this a week ago and I can tell u this. You become acustomed to luxury on on osx. Windows is old school slow way of working. I. Went,screamingly, back to osx and embraced being back in the world of luxury.
Pt itself runs nice but windows filehandling and strcture is a dawg.
I still don't get this. Is it just the spotlight function? What. I just macs about twice a week and see no real advantages.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
I still don't get this. Is it just the spotlight function? What. I just macs about twice a week and see no real advantages.
Well, it is kind of hard to explain to someone using a PC most of the time.

Basically you can do the same on each CPU. They are both computers and they both have software.

It is the workflow and the time it takes to complete anything you doing.

On a PC everything is basically (compared to a Mac) slow and thus hard to achieve.
It begins with navigation. You spend quite a few minutes per day to navigate around any computer. If you are familiar with a Mac you can do this more than 10 times faster than on a PC even if you are familiar with the fastest way of doing it on a pc.

Without using special software like quickeys or cluttering up the desktop with short paths to all your location - I am ALWAYS only 1 second away from ANY location on my Mac. This is simply not the case on a PC.
Just think about the time you would save on one whole year.

I switch a lot between applications - and Spaces and Exposé are making this a blaze. On a PC it is a drag. On a Mac - switching between apps is less than a seconds at any time.

My Mac DAW is online 24/7 - I dont have ANY virus or software firewalls installed to slow down my system. I use my browser all the time and email clients etc. On PC this aint possible due to the million of viruses and security loop holes that the software features. On a PC you need thousands of firewalls and Antivirus software all the time. And that is taking away CPU power.

Mac is plug N Play - Windows is Plug, Download N Crash.

Mac is more expensive than a PC. However, it has the best hardware which is optimized for each other, that you can get. Buying a PC off the shelf with the same capabilities and quality makes the PC up to $800 more expensive.

Any PC user embarking upon a Mac is confused the first weeks of usage. And that is because he is used to be thinking COMPLICATEDLY and CLUMSILY. So he thinks that he has to treat a Mac like he did his PC. And that is wrong.

I have MANY friends who saw me doing things on a Mac and then after a while they switched themselves. First week, they were like - I cant do this - I cant do that. Second week the moaning stopped and was swapped with reluctant-ness when coming to admit that they were now better off. Fourth week, they were talking about OS X as if it was the "next coming" - three months later they all became the strongest Macintosh advocates that I know of. Same goes for most incarnated PC users, who used to not like Mac - when they switch they become the strongest advocates too.

Most my friends say, I would never have thought, using a CPU could have been this easy.

Kind of like the folks living here in Hamburg, Germany. Most claim, when the sun shines 40 days per year, "This year was filled with great weather" - A guy from Africa or California would have said that it was THE WORST summer ever.

IF you are used to a Mac (As of Now, not saying that the tables wont ever turn) then you just KNOW. If you are not - well then you just dont KNOW. Just like the example above.

Remember, using a Mac every now and then - wont ever reveal to you what you are missing. Because, you are using it like a PC. Try it for a month or two and promise you that you will NEVER go back to PC - unless of course that OS becomes what Mac is now. And that could be - but as of now, Windows are solar systems behind OS X.

Trying a Mac for day would be like claiming to KNOW a country's mentality after spending a 14 days vacation there. And the impression would be DEAD wrong. Spend 6 months living like they do - and THEN you will be in the know.

I aint no PC or Windows hater - I just wanna use the best system. Which as of today is Mac OS X. If in one year from now it will be Windows then I am switching.

Only, I dont see that happen as long as Microsoft are doing nothing but looking over to Mac, to see what they did, and then copying it badly. Like they have beenn doing ever since the first software they released.

Lot of you guys doubting that should watch the movie - Pirates of the Silicon Valley. Or read up on what REALLY happened.

Sure, Mac stole too. From Hewlett, the mouse interface. Only, they were able to steal and make it great because they were creative. Microsoft stole and stalled. Gates was never a creative genius. A business genius YES - Creative NO. Apple lives of off ONE MAN's genius - Steve Jobs, without whom - Apple would have never had OS X today and would have probably be bankrupt.

GREAT Inventions are NEVER teamwork - but the reflection of ONE persons ability to go against the flow and pursue his/hers vision and dreams.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:43 AM

Hi Ghost25,
I'm not going to go into this too much. I'll just say I agree with you. I use Macs for all my office stuff. Just when it comes to a lean and mean DAW that I know works. I don't mind taking the extra time to build the best one with the most compatible components. That's a Pee Cee. Anyway, I don't do too much navigating on the DAW but the extra second a day it may take me to navigate, I just reach for the coffee and I'm usually happy for the rest. OK back to mixing TV shows.
Best,
Brandon
Old 01-26-2009, 10:22 AM

This is from a PC/MAC/Linux user

I haven't had a virus since 1996 when a college roommate used my comp without my permission (I didn't lock the admin account when I left the room). I have never had a PC Die, period. I can get around on a PC just as easy as I can get around on a Mac. I have been running Nuendo/Sonar/PT on my PC for the last 5 years - NO Crashes, NO loss of speed, no blue screens believe it or not. And this is on a dual core AMD with 2GB Ram which is dead silent might I add with Zalman PS and CPU hs, it is also connected to the internet.I check email on it, and visit websites when someone sends me a link to their music. I have always built PC desktops myself, and it has never cost more than 1000, the new comp might when I build it.

I don't have paranoid firewalls. In fact, my router is my only firewall. I am also a software engineer by day, my win 2000 now 2003 server has been running for 8 years now. With no crashes (this one has firewalls, as it is a web server)

I will say that the OSX user interface just seems smoother to me and more friendly. But besides that, considering my experience with PCs the only thing that makes them different to me is the Operating System, and the aesthetics (which are nice - as I think it looks better btw). But thats it. I purchased a Mac because I wanted to try it out, as well as Logic. OSX is great IMO! But I can do everything on a PC that I can on the Mac. Will I sell my mac because of this? No, I actually like it, but would never tell someone that they are better or more functional than a PC.

If I want to open an DAW i just double click. I have shortcut folders to my most used folders - with key commands attached to them (Exports, sessions,artist mp3s,ftp folders,network drives for back up), I have custom key commands in nuendo and Sonar, I use PTs current key commands. So... what on earth are others doing to where they consider a PC slow? I also have object dock, no icons on my screen, religiously use alt tab and the windows key shortcuts, and never use the start menu. sooo?

I will say, that all of my windows installs have been "clean" as in OEM. So all that other crap that comes with a PC off the shelf that makes them "slow" has never been on any of my computers.

Something to note. On all of my PCs since 1996 I have had a regular user account with limited privileges (can't install anything), and an administrator account. Both have strong passwords which change monthly. I think that is more of the key to securing your computer than anti virus software, just a thought...
Old 02-14-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
Well, it is kind of hard to explain to someone using a PC most of the time.

Basically you can do the same on each CPU. They are both computers and they both have software.

It is the workflow and the time it takes to complete anything you doing.

On a PC everything is basically (compared to a Mac) slow and thus hard to achieve.
It begins with navigation. You spend quite a few minutes per day to navigate around any computer. If you are familiar with a Mac you can do this more than 10 times faster than on a PC even if you are familiar with the fastest way of doing it on a pc.

Without using special software like quickeys or cluttering up the desktop with short paths to all your location - I am ALWAYS only 1 second away from ANY location on my Mac. This is simply not the case on a PC.
Just think about the time you would save on one whole year.

I switch a lot between applications - and Spaces and Exposé are making this a blaze. On a PC it is a drag. On a Mac - switching between apps is less than a seconds at any time.

My Mac DAW is online 24/7 - I dont have ANY virus or software firewalls installed to slow down my system. I use my browser all the time and email clients etc. On PC this aint possible due to the million of viruses and security loop holes that the software features. On a PC you need thousands of firewalls and Antivirus software all the time. And that is taking away CPU power.

Mac is plug N Play - Windows is Plug, Download N Crash.

Mac is more expensive than a PC. However, it has the best hardware which is optimized for each other, that you can get. Buying a PC off the shelf with the same capabilities and quality makes the PC up to $800 more expensive.

Any PC user embarking upon a Mac is confused the first weeks of usage. And that is because he is used to be thinking COMPLICATEDLY and CLUMSILY. So he thinks that he has to treat a Mac like he did his PC. And that is wrong.

I have MANY friends who saw me doing things on a Mac and then after a while they switched themselves. First week, they were like - I cant do this - I cant do that. Second week the moaning stopped and was swapped with reluctant-ness when coming to admit that they were now better off. Fourth week, they were talking about OS X as if it was the "next coming" - three months later they all became the strongest Macintosh advocates that I know of. Same goes for most incarnated PC users, who used to not like Mac - when they switch they become the strongest advocates too.

Most my friends say, I would never have thought, using a CPU could have been this easy.

Kind of like the folks living here in Hamburg, Germany. Most claim, when the sun shines 40 days per year, "This year was filled with great weather" - A guy from Africa or California would have said that it was THE WORST summer ever.

IF you are used to a Mac (As of Now, not saying that the tables wont ever turn) then you just KNOW. If you are not - well then you just dont KNOW. Just like the example above.

Remember, using a Mac every now and then - wont ever reveal to you what you are missing. Because, you are using it like a PC. Try it for a month or two and promise you that you will NEVER go back to PC - unless of course that OS becomes what Mac is now. And that could be - but as of now, Windows are solar systems behind OS X.

Trying a Mac for day would be like claiming to KNOW a country's mentality after spending a 14 days vacation there. And the impression would be DEAD wrong. Spend 6 months living like they do - and THEN you will be in the know.

I aint no PC or Windows hater - I just wanna use the best system. Which as of today is Mac OS X. If in one year from now it will be Windows then I am switching.

Only, I dont see that happen as long as Microsoft are doing nothing but looking over to Mac, to see what they did, and then copying it badly. Like they have beenn doing ever since the first software they released.

Lot of you guys doubting that should watch the movie - Pirates of the Silicon Valley. Or read up on what REALLY happened.

Sure, Mac stole too. From Hewlett, the mouse interface. Only, they were able to steal and make it great because they were creative. Microsoft stole and stalled. Gates was never a creative genius. A business genius YES - Creative NO. Apple lives of off ONE MAN's genius - Steve Jobs, without whom - Apple would have never had OS X today and would have probably be bankrupt.

GREAT Inventions are NEVER teamwork - but the reflection of ONE persons ability to go against the flow and pursue his/hers vision and dreams.
how many apple shares do u own??

In all seriousness, I use OSX, OS9 and XP daily.
I personally think macs are not as reliable as they once were, we have an old G4 TDM mix system running OS 9.. It has run flawlessly with no down time for 8 years.

Each of our FCP machines both G5 and Macpro spends regular down time, with many problems random crashes, power issues, OS issues and updates.
maybe these are user issues, but a tech guy is called out allot.

I run an LE XP PC system at home, and have hardly had problem in 3 years.. just a broken hard drive.. not a windows issue.

regarding your
"Mac is plug N Play - Windows is Plug, Download N Crash." this was true many years ago, but it hasn't been an issue for me in a very long time.