Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-09-2015, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Video Issues with BM Intensity and PT 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonchase View Post
One thing worth checking is the BlackMagic system preferences. Make sure the fps of your QuickTime is selected in the settings there. I had just the problem you're describing and it turned out to be that. I'm 10.4.2 drivers and have good playback. I do get the occasional video engine crash more often than I'd like though. Not quite bad enough to warrant me swapping to AJA but I am tempted.
Thanks for this!
I spent quite a bit of time with this yesterday... I've eventually ended up with the 10.4.2 drivers as you've suggested, and things seem the best they've been with PT12. It seemed as though the 10.5 driver was randomly resetting the HDMI output every time PT rebooted, sometimes to NTSC, and sometimes to either the generic PAL output, or the 720p 50fps setting...odd.

Since I've gone to 10.4.2 it seems better... This was in no way scientific in my testing, but it is at least functioning..!
Old 11-09-2015, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Atkinson View Post
Thanks for this!
I spent quite a bit of time with this yesterday... I've eventually ended up with the 10.4.2 drivers as you've suggested, and things seem the best they've been with PT12. It seemed as though the 10.5 driver was randomly resetting the HDMI output every time PT rebooted, sometimes to NTSC, and sometimes to either the generic PAL output, or the 720p 50fps setting...odd.

Since I've gone to 10.4.2 it seems better... This was in no way scientific in my testing, but it is at least functioning..!
The 50i-thing is a ProTools-thing (bug) I think. Every time I lead a 25fps 1080P video PT switched the output to 50i but you can set it back to 25 in the output setting of the video track. Seen this on many systems both with BM cards and AJA cards and even on systems without any video hardware at all.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
The 50i-thing is a ProTools-thing (bug) I think. Every time I lead a 25fps 1080P video PT switched the output to 50i but you can set it back to 25 in the output setting of the video track. Seen this on many systems both with BM cards and AJA cards and even on systems without any video hardware at all.
Thanks Frank..!
Yeah, it's also resetting the Blackmagic System Preferences too (which is a pain because you'd not necessarily want to ever touch those..!)
Old 11-09-2015, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks Frank..!
Yeah, it's also resetting the Blackmagic System Preferences too (which is a pain because you'd not necessarily want to ever touch those..!)
Hm. really? Not here. What ever is set in PT is going out the card. I never really change anything in the driver settings. I can see that reflected on my projector info page. I have all output-conversion options set to OFF and they never change on their own.

The output format-setting drop down in the driver is just for FCP and when the card isn't used my any program (click on the little "i" next to that option for info). As soon as PT loads the card will do whatever PT tells it to. That setting doesn't affect the physical out.

Just set input and output conversion to NONE and you should be fine.

1080PsF to OFF

Idle output: black (you can use bars if you prefer that)

those are my settings. On my system they stick. Maybe it's a PT12 thing?
Old 11-09-2015, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Hm. really? Not here. What ever is set in PT is going out the card. I never really change anything in the driver settings. I can see that reflected on my projector info page. I have all output-conversion options set to OFF and they never change on their own.

The output format-setting drop down in the driver is just for FCP and when the card isn't used my any program (click on the little "i" next to that option for info). As soon as PT loads the card will do whatever PT tells it to. That setting doesn't affect the physical out.

Just set input and output conversion to NONE and you should be fine.

1080PsF to OFF

Idle output: black (you can use bars if you prefer that)

those are my settings. On my system they stick. Maybe it's a PT12 thing?
Yeah, that's weird isn't it? Those are the settings I have too (although the 1080PsF setting I don't seem to have... Maybe that's a Decklink setting?)

When I discovered that the BM system preferences had set themselves to NTSC (I'm in the UK so I want PAL), Protools was really struggling with the video playback (it would play for about 2 sec then video playback would freeze, but audio would continue). When I got it to stick with a PAL setting it seems fine.

I'll see how things go today... Thanks for your input!
Old 11-09-2015, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's weird isn't it? Those are the settings I have too (although the 1080PsF setting I don't seem to have... Maybe that's a Decklink setting?)

When I discovered that the BM system preferences had set themselves to NTSC (I'm in the UK so I want PAL), Protools was really struggling with the video playback (it would play for about 2 sec then video playback would freeze, but audio would continue). When I got it to stick with a PAL setting it seems fine.

I'll see how things go today... Thanks for your input!
That's again a PT-thing. You don't need to dive into the BM driver to change that. Check the output-format setting on your video track inside PT.

There are three options there. Playback quality, output settings and format. When you set it to PAL you should see your video monitor reflect that change too. The jerky playback is because PT tries to play back a PAL codec as NTSC. No idea why it's even trying to do that.

For some reasons PT often sets the output to NTSC even when you have a PAL video loaded. Has been that way since PTv7.x I think. Maybe because it's made in USA and it always assumes NTSC first as soon as you load an SD TV-format QT. Even the old Mojo defaulted to NTSC.

Maybe deleting PT prefs makes it stick.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
The Intensity is very small. Just needs a single slot. Just like the Decklink SDI and many other BM cards. Only the 4K extreme models use two slots for the multiple outs.

I use the 10.4.1 driver. No issues.
No sync ref on the Intensity.

All the Decklink SDI cards need an SDI to HDMI converter, should you need connection to HDMI monitor for telly work.

I've got a Decklink Studio 2 (i.e. not the current 4K version) and the HDMI comes on the separate little "daughterboard"

Just saying that the LHi has all the above plus the HDMI on one PCIe card.

Great to know you're running without issues on the 10.4.1 drivers.

If anyone is interested I've got both an Blackmagic Intensity Pro and and Intensity for sale
4. Eleven Rack.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonis View Post
No sync ref on the Intensity.

All the Decklink SDI cards need an SDI to HDMI converter, should you need connection to HDMI monitor for telly work.
Yeah, I guess everyone's has his own priorities. I actually find using SDI great because it's so expensive to extend HDMI to machine-rooms and then it sometimes still doesn't work.
SDI just needs a simple co-ax cable that could run 100m and a 30€ SDI to HDMI-converter at the end and a 1m HDMI cable to the TV.

If you have everything setup in one spot that's obviously a non-issue. But I'd rather use the small 200€ Deckling SDI plus a 30€ SDI-HDMI converter than investing in a 2000€ card just because it has the HDMI out on board.

Frank.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I guess everyone's has his own priorities. I actually find using SDI great because it's so expensive to extend HDMI to machine-rooms and then it sometimes still doesn't work.
SDI just needs a simple co-ax cable that could run 100m and a 30€ SDI to HDMI-converter at the end and a 1m HDMI cable to the TV.

If you have everything setup in one spot that's obviously a non-issue. But I'd rather use the small 200€ Deckling SDI plus a 30€ SDI-HDMI converter than investing in a 2000€ card just because it has the HDMI out on board.

Frank.
I agree. I have been using a SDI to HDMI converted with a Decklink card in the past. Still have them to send feed to an alt monitor for fast ADR/ foley. But I am currently using Gefen HDMI extenders for machine room runs.

At the time I was searching for an SDI to HDMI I could never find a $30 one. I found a deal from eBay but the usual AJA, BM. etc outlets cost much more than that.
4. Eleven Rack.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonis View Post
I agree. I have been using a SDI to HDMI converted with a Decklink card in the past. Still have them to send feed to an alt monitor for fast ADR/ foley. But I am currently using Gefen HDMI extenders for machine room runs.

At the time I was searching for an SDI to HDMI I could never find a $30 one. I found a deal from eBay but the usual AJA, BM. etc outlets cost much more than that.
Here's one for 40€

http://www.amazon.de/Often-MINI-HD-S...words=sdi+hdmi