Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2011, 11:18 AM

Default How/Where to Connect Multiple Analog Inputs

Hi everyone. This is my 1st post here. I am a volunteer at a House of Worship, learning the world of Sound Engineer. We recently got our new venue up and running and things are going great. However, we do have a problem we are trying to solve -

We are currently running off an ipod headphone jack, into the venues 2-trk analog inputs. We have the 2-trk inputs mapped to a fader, which has been set to stereo. It works great. The problem is that we need to do the same thing with a computer, from it's headphone jack. It appears that there is only one set of analog inputs. Where can we connect it?

I am vaguely aware that there are different qualities of inputs (-10dBV "consumer/semi-pro" unbalanced equipment, and +4dBm balanced professional equipment). I am certain that we could get the right adapters to run into the standard +4 board inputs, but am afraid that the -10 signal level may somehow damage the input port? Will it? What should we do?

Thanks, Eric
Old 12-16-2011, 12:49 PM

Default Re: How/Where to Connect Multiple Analog Inputs

You can plug the computer straight into the Analog 1/4 inputs on the desk.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Avid

Hi Eric,

Welcome to the DUC!

As Jeff mentions you can plug the computer's output into any 1/4" input on the rack/console. There's plenty of gain available within the console to handle a wide variety of signals, and plugging a -10 signal into a +4 input won't do any harm.

All you need to do is make sure you have the right types of adapters to get from the stereo 1/8" computer headphone output to two separate 1/4" jacks. These are readily available at any Radio Shack or similar. All that's needed are simple connector adapters - don't let them sell you any kind of amplifier or line level converter...

Sheldon
Old 12-17-2011, 08:36 AM

Eric,

If your setup only has the one set of 1/4" inputs and no other extra 1/4" inputs then you will need to convert from line-level to mic-level. Then patch the two XLR inputs to your stereo channel. You can use two passive direct boxes to convert the signal. You would need a stereo 1/8" to a dual/split mono 1/4" cable. Or you can purchase a box from Rapco that plugs directly into the computer and converts it to XLR outputs.
http://www.rapcohorizon.com/p-18-lti-100.aspx

Or you can go with Radial, which is a very high quality direct box with a few more features. http://www.radialeng.com/re-duplex.htm

Brian
Old 12-17-2011, 10:08 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I patched it in as standard inputs (2 monos, linked as stereo) and it works great. I was mainly concerned that it might hurt the input port.

Thanks Again.