Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-01-2011, 12:14 PM

Default fix file association error on LaCie firewire drive

A client laCie 800 firewire drive with Pro Tools sessions has lost file association to all audio as well as Pro Tools session files. They were created on a MAC and an older version of Pro Tools and cannot be opened through Pro Tools without an error. Even with “show extentions” on, no extensions are listed and the files show as Unix-based.

Changing the extension changes the file icon but will not open the files: example, changing the extension on a WAV file allows the icon to change but errors upon launching in Quicktime or any other audio program.

- Is there a UNIX command to change the file type?
- Did the files get corrupted, however the size seems right
- How can I verify that the files are still intact
Old 02-01-2011, 12:21 PM

Default Re: fix file association error on LaCie firewire drive

What was the format of the audio originally? wav? sd2? (you had mentioned they came from older version of PT) If it was sd2 and the files were copied to a FAT32 format drive, the resource forks have been stripped.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastikman View Post
What was the format of the audio originally? wav? sd2? (you had mentioned they came from older version of PT) If it was sd2 and the files were copied to a FAT32 format drive, the resource forks have been stripped.
What I can gather from the owner, is that the files are probably sd2 files. Do you know a way of fixing the resource forks or - anyway of converting the audio files "as is" to a WAV format?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvinc View Post
What I can gather from the owner, is that the files are probably sd2 files. Do you know a way of fixing the resource forks or - anyway of converting the audio files "as is" to a WAV format?
I don't know of a way yet, but I am currently trying to resolve the same issue with an old session. If I come up with anything useful, I will post my findings.

Is the mentioned LaCie drive where the files originated or had they been copied there from another drive?
Old 02-11-2011, 03:48 AM

Sorry for the delay in my response: but yes, the LaCie drive is where the files were originaly created. A later session on this same drive (the client indicated they had been created in PT5 but later worked on and saved in PT6) were able to be read by my PT9.

I haven't gotten any further either...