Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-20-2009, 01:58 PM

Default Feature Request - Surround Pan Plotter

For mixing in surround, this would be a very nice shortcut & help us avoid the dreaded drawing & plotting on the various array of panning points.

This example would be for a mono track that is bussed to a 5.1 bus (but for that matter, would work for ANY routing - even stereo)

1) Make a selection
2) Call up the new feature - the "Pan Plotter". This would contain 2 panners. One would represent the panning position at the start of the selection, and the other the position at the end of the selection.
3) The user then sets the pan location for each position and presses an "Apply Pan" button. The points are then set at the beginning of the selection, and also the end.

In most cases, any panning nodes that exist within the selection would be erased when this is applied, so we have a smooth line going from the 1st point to the 2nd.

It would be nice if volume could be toggled to be ignored in the apply, if desired, or included.

Naturally, all the pan settings, like divergence, center, etc. should be written.

This would GREATLY speed up many of our current surround panning woes!
Old 11-20-2009, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Feature Request - Surround Pan Plotter

I should add, I can do this now, but it takes too many steps. I have to:

1) go to the start point, set my pan location, & write all
2) Go to the end point,, set my pan location, & write all
3) Select the nodes it creates in step 2 that are between my 2 desired points, and "Delete Panning Automation". (The easiest way to do this is, in step 2, to make select a selection over time, set the out point, then write all. This makes it easier to select the points I don't want, which would then be at the head of my selection.)

This works, but isn't nearly as clear cut & fast as the Pan Plotter would be, which should make sure there are no nodes created between the 2 desired pan points.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dave View Post
For mixing in surround, this would be a very nice shortcut & help us avoid the dreaded drawing & plotting on the various array of panning points.

This example would be for a mono track that is bussed to a 5.1 bus (but for that matter, would work for ANY routing - even stereo)

1) Make a selection
2) Call up the new feature - the "Pan Plotter". This would contain 2 panners. One would represent the panning position at the start of the selection, and the other the position at the end of the selection.
3) The user then sets the pan location for each position and presses an "Apply Pan" button. The points are then set at the beginning of the selection, and also the end.

In most cases, any panning nodes that exist within the selection would be erased when this is applied, so we have a smooth line going from the 1st point to the 2nd.

It would be nice if volume could be toggled to be ignored in the apply, if desired, or included.

Naturally, all the pan settings, like divergence, center, etc. should be written.

This would GREATLY speed up many of our current surround panning woes!
Perhaps you should call it "Glide".
Old 11-20-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Post View Post
Perhaps you should call it "Glide".
HA! You beat me to it. I've been looking into this some more today, and came across that. I wish I had tried that a long time ago! Amazing how we get into the rut & miss things right under our fingertips.

So - to my reason for posting - NEVERMIND!!!!!