Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2015, 03:49 AM

Default another upgrade from PT 11 HD to 12 HD question

Hello everyone!

I was a CPTK user before using the upgrade to PT HD 10/11.
It did cost me some money, but that's was ok. I own a digi003 rack+.
I would like to upgrade to PT HD12 because I have issues with playing videos in PT HD 11. The picture freezes all the time, and I have to press play a dozen times before the pictures agrees to play. It's very annoying and I still use PT 10 when I work with pictures. I've tried every codec formats, followed the troubleshooting tutorials. I haven't found the explanation yet. So My question is, should I upgrade to PT HD12, is it more stable? I'm really annoyed by this, but I think that if it could work for me, I'd go for it and let Avid steal my money for they didn't provide me a program that works.
I plan to buy something like next year an Apollo 8 I think.
I really need huge sessions with a lot of tracks when working with pictures, and need to use my 5.1 system. So for me the only solution is to go HD.

I know it's a bit messy, I really don't know what to do. It will really depend on the stability of PTHD 12.

Thanks for any incoming advice, I'd really appreciate them.

Have a good day!
windows 7 pro 64 bit (aero unabled) / intel core 2 quad 2.66Ghz / mother board: asus P5Q3 delux-wifi p45 / 8GB DDR3 ram / Hard drive systeme WD velociraptor 320 G/ 3 western digital black caviar 1T/ DIGI 003+ rack / complete production toolkit / frontier alpha track/ yamaha motif xs / roland fantom xr
Old 12-22-2015, 04:08 AM

Default Re: another upgrade from PT 11 HD to 12 HD question

the problems lie here in your computer , so far i see , not in the PT version.

a core 2 quad cpu (btw which graphic card??) is way much underpowered

for PT11 or above if u plan to use video(again : which video card??)

and a lot of audio tracks..

if your gpu is the same age as your cpu , it is also much underpowered
Old 12-22-2015, 05:30 AM

And if you buy an Apollo or any other 3rd party interface and sell your Avid hardware you will only be able to use 32 i/o which wouldn't work for you if you use Large sessions as you mentioned. We have both HDX2 and Apollo interfaces and for is it works great with HD12 and HD11. Only Mac computers here though.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-22-2015, 07:35 AM

Upgrade to PTHD12, keep the 003 Rack, dump the PC and buy a Mac mini at a minimum. You will be amazed at how smooth it is.

If you can spend more, consider a Mac Pro and an AJA T-Tap.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:21 AM

thanks for your great answers!!
, yes I know my computer's getting old, but I've been able to work on nice projects with pro tools 9 and 10, without major problems, guess it's time to move on.

Southsidemusic: sorry, english isn't my mothertongue and had problems figuring out what you were trying to say. My idea was to first upgrade to PTHD12 and then add a third party interface. I would need Avid hardware (eg. HDX) if I don't want to be restrained in my track count within protools?
Can't I go native like I am doing right now? Sorry again if this is unclear.

Reichman: I was considering changing computer as well. Laptop or Mac mini I had them in mind.

Offline bounce is really something that helps, too bad I can't use it that often when working with picture, it's too random with clients waiting for the picture to come alive.

Peterle:Your are totally right, as I mentionned earlier my system is getting old.graphic card: NVDIA Geforce 8400 GS
But having been busy, I never took the risk to make a big change during projects and it worked great with PT9+CPTK, then HD10. I wanted as well use the new features in PTHD11 like offline bounce and maybe HD12. Now might be the time.

Have a great evening!
windows 7 pro 64 bit (aero unabled) / intel core 2 quad 2.66Ghz / mother board: asus P5Q3 delux-wifi p45 / 8GB DDR3 ram / Hard drive systeme WD velociraptor 320 G/ 3 western digital black caviar 1T/ DIGI 003+ rack / complete production toolkit / frontier alpha track/ yamaha motif xs / roland fantom xr
Old 12-22-2015, 08:28 AM

southside is talking about hardware I/O which is separate from internal track count. PTHD native systems max out at 256 voices, HDX2 is 512, and HDX3 is 768. Native I/O maxes out at 32, but that's far beyond your current audio interface so don't worry about it.

And FYI, your 003 will work fine with a Thunderbolt>Firewire adapter.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:02 AM

Reichman, thank you for your clarifications, that was what I sensed but wasn't 100% sure.

And then do you chain thunderbolt hard drives with your mac mini (one for DX, FX, MX and for sound libraries for example?
Old 12-22-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
And then do you chain thunderbolt hard drives with your mac mini (one for DX, FX, MX and for sound libraries for example?
Big topic. I decided to get a black Mac Pro, and use a couple of different Thunderbolt SATA towers with 3.5" drives in them. AFTER I bought the Mac Pro, I discovered that USB3 is just as good as Thunderbolt with a conventional SATA drive. You only start to see the benefits of Thunderbolt drives with SSDs or RAIDs. I typically keep everything on one or two drives and then use the RAM cache to load my sessions.

On the other hand, I still need the I/O of the black Mac Pro to manage all the screens, drives, AJA card, audio interface, etc. so look carefully at your needs before getting a Mac mini. In some cases, it's actually cheaper to get a Mac Pro because you don't need to buy Thunderbolt devices that daisy-chain. Make sense?
Old 12-22-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
southside is talking about hardware I/O which is separate from internal track count. PTHD native systems max out at 256 voices, HDX2 is 512, and HDX3 is 768. Native I/O maxes out at 32, but that's far beyond your current audio interface so don't worry about it.

And FYI, your 003 will work fine with a Thunderbolt>Firewire adapter.
Thanks for the clarification Nathaniel, I have been out shopping for Xmas and couldn't see the DUC so that was eactly what I meant

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————