Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2017, 04:46 AM

Default Is there a collaborator database??

Hi, I was just wondering if there is a search engine to help find the correct session player for a particular instrument and genre?

What I mean is if I am doing say a blues album and need a drummer to play on it, can I search for drummers in that genre and perhaps hear samples of their work prior to contacting them?

On a different note, how secure is using the collaborate cloud, has anyone had someone they let into a session steal their tune or such thing happen?? Is there anyway to protect a session or 'tune' prior to release or publishing?

Any ideas on this?

Thanks in advance :)
Old 07-24-2017, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Is there a collaborator database??

Have you checked the Avid Artist Community?

There is a section where you can join/start a group, which can help you find people to collaborate with.

There is also a section where you can hire a musician, which let's you filter by genera and instrument.

Not sure how song copyrights are handled on collaborations. I know on other collab sites you can specify whether the song has shared rights or not, but I don't know how Avid handles this.

System Details
Old 07-24-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene100 View Post
On a different note, how secure is using the collaborate cloud, has anyone had someone they let into a session steal their tune or such thing happen?? Is there anyway to protect a session or 'tune' prior to release or publishing?

Any ideas on this?

Thanks in advance :)
I think it's critically important that (unless you're willing to risk a copyright) you secure a copyright on on the work in question prior to exposing it to anyone.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 07-25-2017, 07:16 AM

There is: Hire A Pro ~ Avid Artist Community
Old 07-25-2017, 03:16 PM

Hi all, thanks for answering. Yeah I guess it would be best for me to contact imro prior to using this but a bit of a pain when you are doing a good few tunes and then decide which to include on a release etc.

This is probably best used by bands where the members all know other and are working as a co-op etc where they all own the tunes. But, I suppose in a situation where you may have someone working alone that just needs a drummer or something now and again you need to be more careful exposing your work in an unfinished state as it is very easy to get ripped off then if someone slightly alters a tune etc as then it is technically not the same.

Cloud collaboration therefore is ok if you know the participants well and trust them, otherwise not so good.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene100 View Post
Hi all, thanks for answering. Yeah I guess it would be best for me to contact imro prior to using this but a bit of a pain when you are doing a good few tunes and then decide which to include on a release etc.

This is probably best used by bands where the members all know other and are working as a co-op etc where they all own the tunes. But, I suppose in a situation where you may have someone working alone that just needs a drummer or something now and again you need to be more careful exposing your work in an unfinished state as it is very easy to get ripped off then if someone slightly alters a tune etc as then it is technically not the same.

Cloud collaboration therefore is ok if you know the participants well and trust them, otherwise not so good.
I would think that if you hire a musician off of the Avid Artist Community you would be pretty safe, but agree that you should be cautious when collaborating with unknown, non professional musicians. Like most new technologies; it will take a bit to weed out the problems and to make changes to protect the users.

System Details