Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Aspera DigiDelivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2006, 06:25 PM

Default setup issues

I've been trying to set up DD with no success.
First when I turn DD on the display does not come on is this normal?
The indicator lights come on and blink but no display.
I've gone step by step through the set up in the manual and when I go to apply IP info etc I get error message:
Quote:

Network Tests Failed. There may be a problem with your network configuration. [ OK ] IP Address 68.186.103.31 [FAILED ] The default gateway 68.186.103.1 is not responding to pings or is unreachable. PING 68.186.103.1 (68.186.103.1) from 68.186.103.31 eth0: 56(84) bytes of data. From 68.186.103.31 icmp_seq=0 Destination Host Unreachable --- 68.186.103.1 ping statistics --1 packets transmitted, 0 received, +1 errors, 100% packet loss, time 0ms , pipe 2

The settings were copied from my Linksys Router Status page (WAN)

Tech Supt is closed...

Old 06-01-2006, 07:54 PM

Default Re: setup issues

Rob,

You need the configure the Digiserver for operation on the LAN side. The IP that you should put in will either start with a 10 or a 192. The gateway is the LAN IP address of the router. This info should have been written down and given to you when the DSL/cable was installed and configured.

Follow the tips here:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...fpart=1#946064

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 06-01-2006, 10:18 PM

Quote:
To be able to access the Digidelivery from the WAN, you'll want want to restrict the range of the DHCP addresses the router can assign, put the Digidelivery on a static internal IP address outside of the range available to DHCP, and port forward the router to the Digidelivery address. Your WAN IP address will now be the address that can be used to access the Digidelivery from outside of your LAN, and your computer can stay on DHCP without any conflicts. Create for the Digidelivery a self-signed security certificate and whenever you logon for administration purposes, you'll be using SSL encryption.
Half of this is going over my head.

The way I understand it, Digidelivery needs a static IP address. My service is on dynamic DHCP that goes through a Linksys router.
The only 192 # is the address of the router. I asked my service provider, Charter Communications about a static IP address and they told me the only way I can have a static IP is by increasing my service to a business. Twice the monthly but if that is what I have to do to get this going I guess I'll bite the bullet.

My biggest problem is I don't know when I am explaining this iif there may be a solution that I am missing.

Thanks for the help.
You are in the Pacific NW?
I'm in Southern Oregon.

Rob
Old 06-02-2006, 08:17 PM

Let's see if I can help make things a little clearer.

Your router connects two networks together, the WAN (wide area network) which is the internet, and your LAN (local area network) which is everything within your facility that's plugged into the router. Your ISP gives you your IP address by which your router connects to them. If you have DHCP internet service, their server renews your IP address everytime the router is disconnected and reconnected to it. This means that your outside IP address can change. Frankly, you can run a Digidelivery behind DHCP service, but you'll constantly have to check to see what your current IP address is and by the time someone with an account on your server wants to send or receive something from you it could have changed again. So a static IP is preferred for your internet connection since it's permanently assigned to your router.

Now, the Digidelivery resides on the LAN side of the router. This means that the IP address in the Digiserver needs to be a LAN address, not a WAN address. Basically, the router knows that anytime you're trying to access an IP address that either begins with a 10 or a 192, it stays on the LAN and doesn't go out to the WAN to find it. I assume that all of your PCs or Macs use DHCP when connecting to the LAN. This means that the router will assign them an internal IP whenever they are connected to the network that begins with a 10 or 192. Thus, your internal IP addresses can also change. The Digidelivery must have a fixed IP address on the LAN. Otherwise, you cannot set your router to port forward to the Digiserver's address whenever someone tries to access it from the WAN (assuming that your router can port forward). Port forwarding is used to have the router direct all incoming traffic for the external IP address directly to one of the internal addresses. In this case, the address of the server.

If your internal addresses begin with a 192, then so will the IP address that you assign to the Digiserver. If, for example, your router internally is on 192.0.0.1, then you can safely put the Digiserver on 192.0.0.199 unless you have 199 network devices already on there. I assume that you probably have a half dozen or so. Just to be safe, your router may allow you to restrict how many addresses it can assign dynamically. If you restrict the DHCP range to 192.0.0.1 through 192.0.0.100, it will only dynamically assign addresses within that range. This way, you'll never have a network conflict with the Digiserver up at 199.

When I was given the info from our ISP for our static IP service, there were three consecutive external IP addreses - static, gateway and broadcast. For us, the gateway address is the one we give to anyone outside of our LAN who will be using the Digidelivery. That address is needed by them to be able to upload deliveries to the server along with their login and password. Internally, you would not use that address for sending deliveries, you would use the 192.0.0.199 address. Which address you use when sending a delivery is determined by whether you're accessing the server from the LAN or the WAN.

Once you've gotten the initial setup completed, you'll be able to access and administrate the server through your web browser by typing it's address in the address bar. This connection will be unsecure unless you follow the guidelines for creating a self-signed security certificate. Once you've got that, you'll access the server through your web browser using SSL encryption.

I'm based in Spokane, but do a lot of commuting to here: http://www.imperativestudios.com

James

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Old 06-02-2006, 08:42 PM

James
Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed explination.
I follow it, I know I'll have to read through a few more times for it to sink in.
It sounds like the best solution if for me to obtain a static address.
Thanks again.
Rob
Old 06-23-2006, 09:07 PM

At the risk of sounding like my 4 year old daughter, here I go anyway.

Ok, I got the static IP address from my ISP.
I'm using a Linksys router and entered the numbers into the router and I have internet access.
I set up the digidelivery using LAN IP address and it still failed.
The message said that the DNS was invalid.
I don't know what to enter for the DNS numbers.
I assigned a LAN IP for the digidelivery, LAN GW but the DNS Servers are WAN numbers since I don't know what else to put in the fields.
Do I need a 2nd Static IP address from my ISP to do this?

I've read through the Linksys manual and the Digidelivery manual and I still have no idea.
What I think I need is someone to hold my hand through setting up my router correctly and enter the correct numbers into digidelivery.

Here is something else, my digidelivery is connected to a hub which is connected to the router in the other room.
Could this be it?

Router questions:
DHCP / enable or disable?
Filters / ?
Forwarding/ service port range??? what the...
Dynamic Routing / gateway or router?
Static Routing / I set this up for the same LAN numbers that I gave the digidelivery. Is that correct?
DMZ host / ie yie yie
Mac address clone / ?

At least the thing lest me know it is in the room with me.
My 4 year old daughter came in and said "what is making all that noise?"

Thanks for help.

Hey James,
Allan G says your the man!
Old 06-24-2006, 12:34 AM

No, Allan is the man. I first met him at a local showing of the D-Control more than a year ago and I continue to be impressed by his attitude and commitment to service. We need to get him down for lunch and a training session in PT7.

Here I sit late on a Friday night providing tech support for a mix, breathing solder fumes while I roll patch cables and cruising the duc.

Send me an e-mail and I'll help you get this sorted out.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:06 PM

Thanks to James and Allan Guald for helping me get it together with this.
You guys rock.

To resolve the thread and maybe help some out there who don't have an in-house Webmaster.

Here is my set up:
Linksys 4 port Router.
Ethernet hub.

Read the entire Router manual.

There were two things that got my problem resolved.

1. This may have had less to do with it but it was a change I made so I'll mentioned it. I connected the Digidelivery directly to the Router rather than to the hub, which was full including a Procontrol.

2. The IP numbers to enter into the setup wizard were a mystery to me.
As James pointed out so well in his earlier post I assigned the DD the LAN number ending with .199. The only change I made to the Router (after resetting it) was to input that address into DMZ which is used for direct link to WAN.

So the IP I assigned to DD was the LAN IP ending with .199 (restricted DHCP on the router)
The Subnet Mask was the same as the LAN SM on the Router.
The Gate way is the Router so that address is the LAN address for the Router.
The DNS addresses are the same address given to me by my ISP so they are the WAN addresses.
I power cycled everything and network verified.

When you send a delivery from the client software from the LAN side, you enter the LAN digidelivery static IP. When a client sends a delivery to digidelivery from the internet (WAN) they enter the Router's WAN static IP to log on.

I hope this helps others who have the same 1st grade internet understanding that I do.

James
If I wrote something incorrect please correct me.
Take care and enjoy your view of the Sound!

Rob
Old 02-05-2007, 04:32 PM

i think that i am 2 years old
i need to get used to that new language,
i bought the DD trusting digidesign sayinf that it is easy.
but it s been 2 afternoon and sometimes on the phone and i cannot make it work
i don t cal that easy.it is painfull and i have work to do.
anyway, thanks to all for your time trying to help people like me

i gonna read more tonight,

Old 02-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Avid

Patcram -

Where are you located at? I didn't see any calls from anyone in your area today or late last week regarding DigiDelivery.

I'm sure if you call in, we can assist you in getting this working.

If you prefer help here (which may be sporadic), please list the specific information on the problems you're encountering and we'll try to get it sorted for you.