How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2020, 05:58 PM

Default Pro Tools licence surrender & owning PT

Hi all,

I recently got a new MBP to replace my now dead 2010 MBP. I’ve decided to try and get back into Pro Tools to tune up my skills. Now I thought I had 11 installed as my latest version I was using. However it appears it must have been 10 as I still have yet to surrender my 9&10 licence. My question is will this surrender still work after all this time? I’d rather not to anything to mess it up.
Now my next question is that I purchased a Pro Tools 9 package with 4 years of updates (9,10,11&12) I have a download for 12 under my products but no licence in the ilok account. Would I have to surrender 11 for 12? Which obviously I don’t have so I would have to do the above first or have I lost out on my licence?

Failing being able to use any copy of my previous versions. Which product do I look at for owning PT outright as I’m not a fan of the subscription method. I’m correct in thinking that I can purchase a version and will have a perpetual licence but no support or updates after a year?

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post and thank you to anyone who can help!
Old 12-09-2020, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools licence surrender & owning PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin23 View Post
I’m correct in thinking that I can purchase a version and will have a perpetual licence but no support or updates after a year?
Yes. That's correct. I think it's 600USD. The other stuff is complicated so I'll leave that, but... yes.
(Added: of course, you can, if you buy a perpetual license, renew the update/support plan a year at a time for about 200USD.)
Old 12-09-2020, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin23 View Post
Hi all,

I recently got a new MBP to replace my now dead 2010 MBP. I’ve decided to try and get back into Pro Tools to tune up my skills. Now I thought I had 11 installed as my latest version I was using. However it appears it must have been 10 as I still have yet to surrender my 9&10 licence. My question is will this surrender still work after all this time? I’d rather not to anything to mess it up.
Now my next question is that I purchased a Pro Tools 9 package with 4 years of updates (9,10,11&12) I have a download for 12 under my products but no licence in the ilok account. Would I have to surrender 11 for 12? Which obviously I don’t have so I would have to do the above first or have I lost out on my licence?

Failing being able to use any copy of my previous versions. Which product do I look at for owning PT outright as I’m not a fan of the subscription method. I’m correct in thinking that I can purchase a version and will have a perpetual licence but no support or updates after a year?

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post and thank you to anyone who can help!
That new MBP probably won't run PT 11 or PT 12 according to the compatibility chart here: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart
What you're going to need is what's called a reinstatement plan from a third party seller as Avid doesn't sell them anymore. Go to the Sweetwater website and look at this page for the plan you need: https://www.sweetwater.com/shop/pro-...pgrade/finder/
and work through the chart. I suggest that you get in touch with one of the Sweetwater people and ask them about the plans because the language on the page is confusing. In the chart they say a license is perpetual but when you go to the product page they say it's a subscription.

In case you haven't kept up with things a couple of years back Avid started transitioning over to subscription plans. Not only that but for those of us that still have perpetual licenses we only get a year's worth of updates unless you pay a renewal fee. The PT license would still be good if you don't pay the 'Avid tax' you just wouldn't be eligible for program updates.

QAPLA!
Old 12-09-2020, 07:44 AM

I don't really get you there. Why do you need to give up 11 for 12?
Old 12-09-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikahawkins1 View Post
That's immaterial as the new Mac he got won't run those old PT versions. You need to look at the compatibility chart.

QAPLA!
Old 12-10-2020, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
That new MBP probably won't run PT 11 or PT 12 according to the compatibility chart here: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart
What you're going to need is what's called a reinstatement plan from a third party seller as Avid doesn't sell them anymore. Go to the Sweetwater website and look at this page for the plan you need: https://www.sweetwater.com/shop/pro-...pgrade/finder/
I thought it would be a long shot to own a version of PT still that would be compatible.

Yeah it pairs me with a plan for perpetual cross grade 2 year sub but states I will surrender my licence for this. I'll reach out to them, cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikahawkins1 View Post

I'm not sure I need to, I'm confused as to wether I don't have a licence for it because I haven't accepted my 11 licence yet. If I surrender 9&10 for 11 would I then get the option to surrender 11 for 12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Yes. That's correct. I think it's 600USD. The other stuff is complicated so I'll leave that, but... yes.
(Added: of course, you can, if you buy a perpetual license, renew the update/support plan a year at a time for about 200USD.)
Just what I had feared, guess I'll need to bite the bullet on a new licence.
Thanks!