Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-28-2013, 09:40 AM

Default Migrating & Updating

Two questions gentlemen.

1/ im still on PT le 7.4 . ( i know its pathetic but updating is a pain in the ... Imo). Now i want to buy another computer but considering i was running PT 7.4 on an old mac os x tiger 10.4.11, do you think guys i will be able to use all my old projects without any loss with last mac os ? Whats your advice to make that update ?

2/. I have 2 macs, both on tiger, but one is an intel so i want to transfer all into this faster intel computer (for the moment coz i want to upgrade later on 10.7 at least...). When cloning and transfering all the disk to the other, will i need in the end to re-install PT or is it automatic with a clone ?

Ty
Old 05-28-2013, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Migrating & Updating

what computer are you considering? if you get a new enough one it will not run 10.4

a good backup image should transfer across OK

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-28-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
what computer are you considering? if you get a new enough one it will not run 10.4

a good backup image should transfer across OK
First i want to transfer disk from antic powerbook g4 to old macbook white (2,1) but then i want to all transfer to the Macbook pro which will be launch aroûd september....

So 2 questions - (lol)

1/ do you think i will have to re-install PT and all my third app on this macbook 2,1)
2/ do you think i will lose the ability to use and read all my past projects ?
3/ do you think a direct upgrade from my antic powerbook g4 to a new retina mbp woulf be even possible ? This is my work so i even be reeady to pay to be help in those scary updates.....if you know a company which do this...
Old 05-28-2013, 12:38 PM

1) like I said a goos system image usually works fine but once in a while they don't
2) it should be fine but resave with the Mac/PC compatablaty checked and mahe sure all the files have the . extension file type on them
also a good time to convert any SD2 files
3) ?, new retina MBP (assuming OSX10.8) you will need to install PT10.3.5 fresh. do not even try to install any applications from 10.4 on 10.8

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-28-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
1) like I said a goos system image usually works fine but once in a while they don't
2) it should be fine but resave with the Mac/PC compatablaty checked and mahe sure all the files have the . extension file type on them
also a good time to convert any SD2 files
3) ?, new retina MBP (assuming OSX10.8) you will need to install PT10.3.5 fresh. do not even try to install any applications from 10.4 on 10.8
Okay thats very nice.

I dont understand exactly all what you ve said in your 2/....
And for your 3/ do you think assuming i have installed PT 10 i will have no prob to read,open, work on and refind all my PT 7.4 sessions ?
Old 05-28-2013, 03:33 PM

if your file have the 3 letter extension after the . then you should be OK
one or two you may need to make a new session and use Import Session Data

if your old sessions does not have the .ptf or .pts (I don't remember what 7.4 used) you may get a " Session Was Created with an newer version of Pro Tools " error message

same may happen to your audio files if the do not have: .wav, .sd2, or .aif

PC compatibility forces the extension on the files

10 makes .ptx session files

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-04-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
1)

okay im decided to buy the new retina.

....................... BUT dear PT exeprts please advise me what i could do considering im still on PT le 7,4 imagine it wont be compatible right ?

1/ which version of PT do i need to buy CONSIDERING I ABSOLUTELY WANT TO BE ABLE TO WORK WITHOUT ANY LOSS ON MY OLD PT le 7,4 sessions ? ( i want to precise that i used to work only with PT plugins and none third party plug in....

2/ i supposed mbox 1 will be unusable right ? which interface i need to buy considering i need the minimal set up ? ( the smaller the better to work in every places.... is there an interface as small as an usb key which do evrything my mbox do btw ??)
Old 06-04-2013, 04:37 PM

a new retina will come with 10.8 so you should get PT10 (you should get the upgrade to 11 when it comes out) download the 10.3.5 installer
you will need an iLok v2 (it looks like a thumb drive compared to the blob looking v1) for the Pro Tools license , Slate Digital has a deal that you buy the one of the select plug-ins and they give you an iLok v2.

scene V9 Pro Tools can use almost any interface including the computers internal sound card (Pro Tools Expert Blog has a list of interfaces that work)
you should figure out what you need and what you want an interface to do

I've opened v5 session in 10 so you v7.4 sessions should be fine, if they do not open directly using Import Session Data should do the trick

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-04-2013, 07:41 PM

You will love the new Retina. Just got mine rolling on new tunes this evening.
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:26 AM

Cool guys ! Thanx a lot ! Im so happy to hear my 7,4 sessions will wok fine on last PT...
God what a relief !!.....

im not sure if i wait for the sept/october mbp retina update but now i feel so much better....

Is it too much to ask if you guys can post me a link of all interface i could buy ? Considering my dream would be a micro one like an usb i can take averywhere with same quality as my old mbox ofc... ( I ask you because you expert and if i go to avid shop alone i will never be sure it fits to last PT etc......)