Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-31-2019, 03:09 PM

Default PT10 + X32 Live SD Card

Hi folks,

1st post here and I have an issue I've never come across before...

Recently got the X-Live SD recorder card put into my console so I could track shows, etc. without bringing my laptop. All worked great; recorded tracks to the SD card, pulled the card out and brought it home, stuck it in a card reader, opened a session in '10, imported the audio, and poof 16 tracks popped up on my screen. Sweet!

I do my mixing for a couple hours, set routings, groups, panning, all the fun stuff we love to do, then save and quit. The next day I open up the same session to do some more mixing, and the only thing I can hear is the kick drum... On. Every. Single Track. I still see the original waveforms from all the other tracks, but the only sound is kick drum, and the only thing on the meters is kick drum.

WTH is going on?? Is there something I need to do with the wav file from the SD card? I know it records all 32 tracks to one file (if enabled) then splits them out somehow but I never read about the need to do that, especially since all 16 tracks I recorded already showed up.

Anyone come across this before??

Thanks!

John
Old 10-31-2019, 07:22 PM

Default Re: PT10 + X32 Live SD Card

Hi. Welcome.

Can't really help you, but a couple of questions:
I assume you copied the file(s) to a drive and imported from there and not directly from the SD card without the "Copy files" option enabled? What do you see in the Audio Files folder of the session?

Was the kick drum on track 1?
Old 11-01-2019, 11:37 AM

Hi Ben,

I imported the WAV file directly into PT from the Import function (Shift + Cmd + I) and selected "Convert" from the "Import Audio" menu so PT would place a copy of the WAV in the Audio Files folder.

Audio Files folder shows one or two WAV files (dependent on length of time recorded, as is default from the X32).

Kick drum is Channel 1.

See pictures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Hi. Welcome.

Can't really help you, but a couple of questions:
I assume you copied the file(s) to a drive and imported from there and not directly from the SD card without the "Copy files" option enabled? What do you see in the Audio Files folder of the session?

Was the kick drum on track 1?
Attached Images
File Type: png 1.png (55.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png 2.png (43.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (59.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-01-2019, 12:25 PM

To me, this sounds like PT is not handling the file format right, at least when reopening the session, and it plays the whole file from the start on every track.
If you had selected all clips on all tracks when you had it working in the first place, and selected "Consolidate", PT would have made 16 new wav files, and those would have opened fine next time.
So, as a fix, I suggest you do the process again, new session, import the x32 file, consolidate all 16 clips, close session, open your session with 16 kick drums and import your newly created 16 wavs from that session's Audio Files folder. Select Copy Files in import dialog.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 11-01-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:50 AM

Ok.. I don't know why that worked, but it did.

I imported the original WAV from the SD card into PT; Renamed all the tracks as they're supposed to be; Consolidated them as instructed, which created new Clips of each instrument. I saved the session, closed it, opened it back up, and all the clips were still there. Then I deleted the original WAV from the Clips and it seems to still be working.

We'll see if it continues to work... and if my old 2007 MacBook Pro continues to function.

Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
To me, this sounds like PT is not handling the file format right, at least when reopening the session, and it plays the whole file from the start on every track.
If you had selected all clips on all tracks when you had it working in the first place, and selected "Consolidate", PT would have made 16 new wav files, and those would have opened fine next time.
So, as a fix, I suggest you do the process again, new session, import the x32 file, consolidate all 16 clips, close session, open your session with 16 kick drums and import your newly created 16 wavs from that session's Audio Files folder. Select Copy Files in import dialog.