Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Upgrade: DV Toolkit > Complete Production Toolkit2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubivore View Post
i really hope at some point there's a trade in for the LE + toolkit stuff.
We've been asking for this for a long time now. I hope we see this come around. I feel this omission is costing Avid a lot of hardware sales that would come their way if an upgrade path were implemented.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-10-2011, 02:46 PM

Any "updates" on this? I'm coming from Music Production Toolkit and $1599 is much better than $2000.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:49 PM

geez, for that much you might as well get an HDN and use aggregate IO or something!
Old 11-11-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwproject View Post
Any "updates" on this? I'm coming from Music Production Toolkit and $1599 is much better than $2000.

I have MPTK2, I hope its much cheaper then that. All any of us want really is the option for disk cache. So either make that a cheaper upgrade for disk cache or a reasonable upgrade price for MPTK1 and MPTK2 guys up to Complete.

Think about how much easier all of this would be if AVID would do just 1 version of this stuff instead of all the little add ons. Granted at some point every one will feel cheated a little but that is really only the case if the upgrade / 1 software program cost a ton and isn't that great. Maybe PT 11 will be where they should draw the line in the sand. 1 version of software to rule them all.

Life will be easier for everyone then.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDeurloo View Post
Think about how much easier all of this would be if AVID would do just 1 version of this stuff instead of all the little add ons. Granted at some point every one will feel cheated a little but that is really only the case if the upgrade / 1 software program cost a ton and isn't that great. Maybe PT 11 will be where they should draw the line in the sand. 1 version of software to rule them all.

Life will be easier for everyone then.
It may be easier, but it would push the cost of the software upwards of $2500. Those that don't need these features would feel somewhat disenfranchised. Be careful what you wish for.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-11-2011, 12:30 PM

Well, I don't think that pricing is true. All the other pro audio softwares are not priced like that and most all of them offer similar features and very reasonable upgrade cost. What Avid needs to do is simplify life for everyone (including AVID) and make hardware that people want to buy and 1 software that covers everything. That has to be where their money is made or not made. Its like Apple and Itunes. Apple makes their money on hardware not the Itunes (yes, they make a chunk of change on iTunes, but not like the hardware). I know this is another topic but they could offer 1 software, make it AMAZING. It could be priced a little above its competitors ($100-$150) and most everyone would bite. But its all of this guessing and strange pricing that has die hard users not supporting/investing in the new upgrade paths because we have no idea what its really gonna end up costing us, and what we will get hit with for a "upgrade" in the next few months.

With that being said, I know what you mean. AVID could go completely crazy/evil on us and "try" and bend us all over. I think if they did that they would see a lot of guys jump ship for ever. There are a few other really great DAW's and 1 or 2 that soon could easily be a standard. So I am sure they will come up with a reasonable and profitable solution. I am optimistic that all of this trouble currently happening will be remembered as growing pains! Fingers crossed.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:43 PM

Dan, even Nuendo with the expansion kit is $2100. PT10 With the CPTK is $2700.

If PT went with a single price point, I'm afraid it would become “beyond the reach” of many.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-11-2011, 12:50 PM

Yeah, Nuendo is a pricey software. STUDIO ONE, Cubase and Logic are all more reasonable. Reaper is crazy cheap. No idea how they do it.

But I wonder how much I have paid in PT software upgrades and add on's. Honestly probably pretty close to the 2100. I know guys who have spent well over that. And a number of the things paid for are no longer options or add ons. Which are a good thing. Just make a great software that doesn't require all of these add ons. If it cost more up front and not as much to upgrade then I think the value would be there for most people. I could be wrong.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:14 AM

Another bump to the top for the DV Toolkit to Complete Upgrade pricing. It disappeared more than 3 weeks ago. Should we notify the relatives and commence with a funeral? Or is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Would sure appreciate a check-in from DTS for reassurance. I can be patient if it is just a matter of time.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:10 PM

Alright. Guess I got my answer. My Protools dealer notified me today that the SKU for the DVTK to CPTK upgrade was discontinued and is not coming back. Not happy about it. The week before Protools 10 release, I was planning to purchase but decided to wait. Just to make sure CPTK wasn't made obsolete like PT9 made DVTK. Guess that decision could cost me an extra $1700.

Guess I could try my luck on the secondary market and purchase a previously owned copy. Unfortunate as I was hoping to send some dough Avid's way.

Or maybe I'll check out the other options available for disc caching.