Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 05-23-2008, 12:40 AM

Default Trouble Exporting Regions To .WAV

I'm having some technical difficulties beyond my control and was wondering if any of you could help me out.

I'm attempting to prepare my song to be sent out to be mixed by a friend using a different system. Here's what I've done so far:

I'm taking off all effects, eqs, compression, etc. and sending the raw tracks (with the punches and edits).
Then I selected the entire track and a little extra and did Alt + Shift + 3 to consolidate the track. (I did this for each track).
Then I selected the grabber tool, double clicked on the track and renamed the track AND had it rename the disk file so that when it was exported it was named what I wanted it.
( Tried to use the shortcut key ctrl + shift + R, but it didn't seem to be working).
THEN, I tried to export the tracks as separate WAVs by using ctrl + shift + k...but it didn't work.
Export is grayed out in the File menu, and yes, I have a track selected.

I did this before and it seemed to work fine, but now it doesn't seem to work and I can't figure out what has changed since last time. I've included a few screen shots. Here's where the images are:
http://newcoolnowmusic.googlepages.com/images

Help me? Anyone?

I feel so lame. The audio files are all in the audio folder. When I look at the regions on the right hand side, it seems like there's nothing there.
Here are some pictures of what I'm seeing.

I did move the file folder recently from it's original location with all of it's files.

I PLAYED the file and heard everything and it sounded just fine.
so, this is a mystery to me.

gracias,

steve

p.s. I'm using Windows XP sp2 Home edition, ProTools M-Powered 7.0 (still need to upgrade it don't I?), Intel Pentium 4 CPU, 1.80 Ghz, 1.80 Ghhz, 704 MB of RAM

I used the m-audio project mix i/o as my interface.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Trouble Exporting Regions To .WAV

I don't see any reason why it's grayed out and I think your method should work,too, but I'll post how I export WAVs to other systems just to see anything I do might help you.

1 I make a copy of the session in a new folder.
2 Close the orignal session and open the copy just created.
3 Click 'all group' in groups menu
4 Highlight the entire session from the right to the left
5 Use 'Consolidate selections'
6 Select Audio > unused regions
7 click on the audio menu > Clear selected
8 Go to Audio > Select all
9 Audio> Export selected as files. Choose a folder and export.
10 When done, save and close the session.
11 The folder I chose in step 9 has all the wavs.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:11 PM

Tash, thanks for the help.
I finally figured it out, but it seemed so convoluted compared to the shortcut key version I was able to do before.

I used the regions drop down arrow and realized that "audio" was not selected it. This still didn't allow the export option to become un-grayed out in the File menu, but in the regions options there's an "export", so I did it that way and it worked.

Ahhh...the joys of recording for a non-engineer.

Thanks again for the help.

Steve
Old 05-24-2008, 04:47 PM

I'm not an expert Pro Tooler. I use Cubase more often. As a matter of fact, I basically learned the method from Steinberg's website. So, that might not be the best way. Let's see if someone knows a better way. But here's a short cut version of the same procedure.

If empty tracks with no regions are selected in the track list, this will render empty wavs for the tracks, too.

1 make a copy of the session
2 Ctrl+Shif+W (Close session )and Ctrl+O(open session)-choose the copy just created
3 Click 'all group' in groups menu
4 Highlight the entire session from the right to the left w/select tool
5 Alt+Shift+3 (Consolidate)
6 Ctrl+Shift+U (Select Unused regions)
7 Ctrl+Shift+B (Clear Selected)
8 Ctrl+Shift+A (Select All regions)
9 Ctrl+Shift+K (Export Selected regions as audio)
10 When done, Ctrl+S (save) and ctrl+shift+W (Close)
11 The folder I chose in step 9 has all the wavs.