Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 05-14-2008, 09:44 AM

Default Re: ProFire 2626 Line input levels are quite low

Ah, OK. You use BF meterbridge. Thanks for the reply and excuse my persistence. Now I can sleep well. I was wondering what you exactly meant.

I didn't use any plug-in to measure my presonus. I used PT's own level meter in the mixer not the plug-in. It it -22dbFS for presonus. And it is -10dbFS for my Projectmix. The same signal, though. In my case, my presonus pre have way more headroom than my projectmix. I thought that was yours case, too. I misunderstood your post.

I'm not argueing with you. I'm just explaining how I did it just in case you wonder like 'WTF this dude is talking about?'

To get the value in dbFS, you can simply read the value in PT without a plug-in, too, though. That's easier than doing the math.

Enjoy your new unit
Old 05-14-2008, 09:44 AM

I realize I was a little confused myself. 0dbVU for pro gear is +4dbu as Chris wrote.
Sorry for making it even more complicated. I've edited the posts accordingly. Other than that, dbu-dbFS part still stands. But obviously 0dbu is not 0dbVU.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:26 AM

MLANGE!

please let us know as soon as you can how it's going with the new unit...

detroitkruk
Old 05-18-2008, 11:18 AM

OK - Success - here's the whole skinny:

First and foremost, there is nothing wrong with the 2626 - the guys at M-Audio tech support have gone out-of-their-way to follow through with this testing

A sine wave, by it's very nature, does not have any transients whatsoever..... therefore, when measuring a 1K +4dBu sine wave signal into many "classic" analog VU meters, this will result in a 0 reading. These meters present the average level of the input signal.

The identical signal, (again, a sine wave - no transients [ie, peaks], right?) injected into PT yields -18dbfs, as the channel's segment meters are peak meters. The peak meter has absolutely no transient peak material to detect.

Now taking the identical signal path, we'll use program material - say a bass guitar - and adjust it for a nominal 0 level on a "classic" analog VU meter. When this signal is inputted into PT, the PT channel meter will display something fairly close to the analog meter's level.

There is no issue with the metering levels: the difference in the tests is the program material's transients. Sine waves have no spiked transients, and in this example, our bass guitar certainly does.

And the above principles held true on every system we tested, including an fully-loaded HD3 rig. The HD3's headroom values were virtually identical to the ProFire 2626's. This speaks quite highly to the 2626's design.

While various metering plugs (Bomb Factory, Waves, etc) may *look* like an analog VU meter, the user must select average, rms, peak, etc. in order to change the response style/curve of the meter. Regardless of the interface (how the meter *looks*), do recognize that the meter's scale determines its' ballistics.

The other intermittent issue with our 2626 was almost assuredly caused by it being man-handled by the carrier and not a reflection of the build-quality. M-Audio's done well by me.

As much time as I've spent with ours chasing this down, I can truly say that the 2626 feels solid & very well built. The software's been completely stable, too.

Hope this helps - I'm sold .... and very happy.

Now - FINALLY - back to the recording
At PlethoraTone:
Mac Mini M1, Avid Carbon,
PSP, Waves Mercury, UAD, Kush, Slate Digital,
PA, Melodyne, Antares, Audioease, SoundToys
Old 05-18-2008, 02:42 PM

Fantastic. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks!

I wonder why the profire2626 has a rating of 4 stars at the moment on Zzounds