Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-15-2010, 12:38 PM

Default Digi Expansion HD chassis no longer supported?

Holy smokes. Incredible that they're abandoning this piece of hardware, their own brand, while still supporting the Magma chassis. It wasn't that long ago that I bought the Digi chassis, which I chose precisely because I wanted it to be supported through upgrades.

This would be like Avid abandoning the HD interfaces but still supporting, say, the Lynx Aurora.

Am I the only one stupid enough to have bought this chassis and not unloaded it in time? Why in the world is there no upgrade path for this? Sorry if the outrage has already been vented--just now getting around to this issue.

-R
Old 10-15-2010, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Digi Expansion HD chassis no longer supported?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
Holy smokes. Incredible that they're abandoning this piece of hardware, their own brand, while still supporting the Magma chassis. It wasn't that long ago that I bought the Digi chassis, which I chose precisely because I wanted it to be supported through upgrades.

This would be like Avid abandoning the HD interfaces but still supporting, say, the Lynx Aurora.

Am I the only one stupid enough to have bought this chassis and not unloaded it in time? Why in the world is there no upgrade path for this? Sorry if the outrage has already been vented--just now getting around to this issue.

-R
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=363039

The EOSS for the old expansion chassis came over a year ago, already.

I know it can be hard to keep up, but Avid is pretty diligent with keeping us aware of when they drop support.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-15-2010, 12:41 PM

i had Digi Tech Support on the phone tell me years ago to NOT buy that thing....I actually couldn't not believe that someone at Digi on the clock would say that but they did.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:54 PM

Rick,
I use to have 2 of them but no more. They had issues. I replaced them with the PE-6R4-I Magma. It is rock solid, huge track counts. No problems. You can still use your chassis even though it isn't supported. When you can you should replace it with the PE-6R4-I .
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr sound View Post
You can still use your chassis even though it isn't supported. When you can you should replace it with the PE-6R4-I .
Its not supported beyond 8.0.1 there's no drivers for it so it definitely won't work beyond that.

PE6R4 is the way to go.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:51 PM

This thing was garbage from the beginning.

But that being said, they finally worked out the bugs and now dropped support. I ditched mine before that.

It is pathetic that they would drop this, especially considering that it was specifically marketed as "future proof" because of the way the card connected to the chassis.

If this was Apple or Intel or a larger ("real") company, the lawyers would be lining up for crap like this. They misled their customers, offered them an unsatisfactory experience, then dropped the product. They should be ashamed. (Well actually, they are, I've received a few apologies from product reps).

Crap like this continues to make Avid/Digidesign a substandard company.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uno1234 View Post
... They should be ashamed. (Well actually, they are, I've received a few apologies from product reps).
Crocodile tears. Not ashamed enough apparently to have the decency to offer an upgrade path. Having to spend an extra $2500 on a PE6R4 just to maintain the same functionality as the Expansion|HD has me rooting for Reaper.