Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 07-04-2017, 12:53 PM

Default Recommendations on Budget Protools 192 System?

Greetings, I am hoping that some of you with Digidesign/Avid experience could recommend a used system (available on EBay) to go with? I noticed that the 192 interfaces are fairly inexpensive, what else would I need? Computer card? Also is the 192 still compatible with the newer Protools software? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2017, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Recommendations on Budget Protools 192 System?

The 192 is still functioning fine in PT 12.8HD. But, there is a lot to think about here, so let me toss a few thoughts out for consideration.
1-What's your budget?(everything hinges on this number)

2-Do you NEED the HD version of Pro Tools?(if you don't work in surround/post, you probably don't, but the 192 will NOT work without these:
HD software
a card(either HD, HDX or HD/Native)
A Digilink license(with PT 12.6 and up)

3-the old HD cards do NOT work with Pro Tools 11 and newer

4-HD cards come in 2 "flavors"(PCIx and PCIe) and you start with a CORE card(=HD1) and add ACCEL cards(core + 2xaccel=HD3)

5-an HD3 setup(1-core card and 2 accel cards) is actually not that potent(see 6)

6-a modern computer(minimum quad-core with 16GB RAM) can handle a lot of tracks(if properly configured)

7-if you are a fan of UA plugins, you might reconsider the Apollo as it allows you to record with UA plugins and low latency(no other interface allows this to my knowledge)

8-(should have been #2) How many tracks to you need to record at one time(IOW, how many live inputs and outputs do you need)?

Having said all that, I came from a DIGI003 with outboard for 18 inputs and 10 outputs(4 headphone mixes, plus main outs) and I tracked small bands and was not unhappy at all. I had the chance to move to HD/Native at a good price and now have 32 inputs and am using a total of 16 outputs on a modern 6-core and love it(except for the errors I am battling on a brand-new build). The reason I didn't go with Apollo at the time was; no thunderbolt for PC and I wanted 6 headphone mixes. Now, thunderbolt is available on PC and I might have sacrificed the extra headphone mixes to have the ability to track with UA plugins(I have a UA-2 quad card, but every plugin has over a thousand samples of latency, making it impossible to use UA stuff while tracking).

Lot's to think about, so work on answering all the questions so you get the best advice

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-05-2017, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Recommendations on Budget Protools 192 System?

BTW, there are several versions of 192 on eBay so be aware of a few details:
1-the 192 DIGITAL is digital ONLY(cannot accept any analog cards or signals).
2-a 192 chassis with no cards is useless without at least 1 digital IO card
3-the "standard" 192 is 8 analog IO and 8 digital IO
4-the "standard" 192 can accept 1 additional card for 8 more analog inputs, OR 8 more analog outputs(but not both).
5-no matter what cards are installed, a 192 or HD IO can only have a total of 16 ins and outs working at the same time(OMNI only allows 8 live IO).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave