Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2012, 09:06 AM

Default Cross fade error message

Forgive my ignorance, but this is all new to me. I'm trying to create cross fades on track that I punched in to. I've tried to do this manually and with the multi tool method where I put the curser down at the bottom of the clip and slide to one side. In either case, when I do this I get the following error message:

"One or more fade requests are invalid due to insufficient audio data within the fade bounds. You may skip the invalid fade request(s) or adjust the bounds for those fades (where possible)."

If I hit adjust bounds, it creates a cross fade past the punch in point only.

I've been using the Pro Tools 10 Ignite book and searched the forum for this issue and from what I've read, I'm doing this correctly. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Cross fade error message

That which you are experiencing is normal behavior. You must have audio printed on both sides of the cross fade point on each clip in order to cross fade.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-26-2012, 10:59 AM

OK, that makes send. so for a punch in, should I be cross fading only to the right (past the P/I point) or simply not cross fade?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:15 AM

This really depends on the reason for the cross fade. Are you just trying to kill a click, or are you attempting to keep ambiance undisturbed in a very transparent arrangement? In very critical situations where you may want every possible choice, it may be prudent to use two tracks and alternate punch-ins between them. I rarely find this necessary, but it has come up.

To kill a click... Just use a small fade.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-26-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginridge View Post
OK, that makes send. so for a punch in, should I be cross fading only to the right (past the P/I point) or simply not cross fade?
I suggest that you'd use Quickpunch when you record. So, if you set a punch-in point/selection, and use pre-roll, Quickpunch will actually record during the pre-roll time too even though it's not visible. This workflow will allow you to crossfade into the new overdub.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
I suggest that you'd use Quickpunch when you record. So, if you set a punch-in point/selection, and use pre-roll, Quickpunch will actually record during the pre-roll time too even though it's not visible. This workflow will allow you to crossfade into the new overdub.
Or that.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-26-2012, 11:45 PM

In this particular case, I'm recording a 9 string acoustic guitar bottleneck slide style in stereo. It will be a very sparse track; part solo slide, part backed up by and then in duo with acoustic guitar so I'm looking to keep the ambience undisturbed and make any P/I as clean as possible (ambience on slide can be tough).

Quick punch sounds like the way to go. I mix down in a Pro Tools based studio and I know my engineer gets cross fades on both sides of the P/I so I assume that's what he's doing. I'll hit the books and figure that out.

Thanks!