Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2014, 12:25 PM

Default Soft Synths & Pro Tools 11 Using Novation USB MIDI Keyboard

Having a weird issue with soft-synths (stock PT ones, and Komplete 9), and Pro Tools 11.

I use a Novation Launchkey 49 via USB into my early 2011 MBP (OSX 10.8.5). I have been using this setup with pro Tools 9 for a while now with zero issues. Just use it as a MIDI keyboard to trigger synths like Massive. Easy plug and play up to this point.

I recently upgraded to Pro Tools 11.2. Now when I open a Pro Tools session, create an instrument track, insert Massive (or whatever synth), and press the keys on the Launchkey 49, I get nothing. The mac OS totally sees the Launchkey 49 in Audio/Midi setup and says the device is online. Passes the test procedure too. Pro Tools also sees and selects it in Options > MIDI > MIDI Input devices. Yet, no dice.

To make things even more strange, I opened up an older session I was working on and randomly pressed one of the keys on the Launchkey 49 and heard an instance of massive trigger and play. WTF. I found the instrument track, and low and behold, I could play it. I could also replace that instance of Massive with Battery, Kontakt, anything, and that one instrument track would play them all. However, there were a bunch of instances of Massive and FM8 in the session, and when I selected the other instances, I couldn't trigger them with the Launchkey 49. Only that one instrument track will play. Tried other old sessions as well, and tried a bunch of new sessions, and ONLY THAT ONE track will trigger from the Launchkey. Almost like it's fuzed to that one track (which sounds ridiculous, but....).

I'm at a loss. Does anyone else have issues with their USB MIDI keyboard after upgrading to PT 11?

Any ideas?
Old 08-02-2014, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Soft Synths & Pro Tools 11 Using Novation USB MIDI Keyboard

In preferences under the midi tab... is your default thru instrument set to first selected midi track? If not it will default to whatever midi or instrument track is first from the top.

I don't know if that will help and I didn't upgrade to 11.2 yet so unaware of any bugs but you should be able to use your controller same as other versions...
Old 08-02-2014, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Soft Synths & Pro Tools 11 Using Novation USB MIDI Keyboard

^ And we have a winner.

Thank you kindly ... works perfectly now. Never toggled that option in prefs before, so I'm not sure what happened (unless there's some sort of keyboard shortcut I'm unaware of).

Thanks again!