Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 10-10-2018, 07:23 PM

Default Boot MTM from External HDD

Hi all, is it possible to do this?

We have had 3 MTMs this year with internal SSD failures. Because we are in Australia, it takes about 3+ days to get a replacement. Avid for some reason doesn't keep a few spares in the country.

It would be good to be able to run the system software from an external drive while we wait for the replacement.

If the answer is yes, could someone detail how to do this.

Many thanks.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:08 AM
Avid

Default Re: Boot MTM from External HDD

You would have to use USB which would slow the system down. I would like to find out more about why you are both having failures and long delivery times. I'll ask some people here.....
Old 10-11-2018, 01:17 AM

Thanks Eddie. My desk has been dead in the water since Tuesday. It’s now Thursday night here in Sydney. MTM on FedEx from San Jose, hopefully tomorrow.

If there’s any information you need from me please let me know.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:36 PM

Would the faders be slower to react to touch etc? That’s really what I’m missing. If just the MTM itself will run slower, doesn’t really bother me for the short term.

At least the room isn’t completely hobbled if I can boot from USB.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:23 AM
Avid

Have you received the MTM yet ? We are looking at getting more spares into Australia too.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Have you received the MTM yet ? We are looking at getting more spares into Australia too.

It arrived Friday afternoon. Spares in Australia would be great. Spares in Sydney would be even better!

It would still be nice to have an emergency procedure for booting from an external or other drive. Or at the very least, a “safe” mode that gives you just faders. (I know that’s not simple). Some sort of redundancy maybe?

These desks are in rooms that are being hammered on tight turnaround jobs. Something like this could be catastrophic, although not in this case.

Thanks for your attention to this Eddie. I really appreciate the level of attention that this forum gets from you and “creative control” (can’t remember his name).
Old 10-15-2018, 03:32 PM

Hi Eddie,

Just an update. The MTM that was sent to us is DOA.The cpu does not boot. The soft keys back light lights up, but the main display does nothing.

Fortunately my old MTM works on and off. Every now and then it will go to the shell screen but if I reboot with the System USB key that shipped with it, some sort of repair happens and I can boot into the system until the next time it freaks out.

It has now been a week since our initial problem.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:33 AM
Avid

I'm sorry, I have made our CS Manager aware and he or myself will update you ASAP.