Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2010, 10:45 AM

Default No Midi output

I am having an issue with my MIDI in PT. I am running Windows 7 and have Pro Tools 8.0.1 with an original mbox. I realise that there is a further upgrade to 8.0.3 but my mbox won't be compatible

The problem is quite simple: I cannot get PT to send midi to any external ports. I have quintuple checked that I am sending to the right place in the channel I/O and I have made sure that all of my external racks are receiving on channel 1.

It makes no difference whether I set up an instrument in PT midi studio or just directly out of the MIDI interface.

I have tried three different bits of hardware - mbox2 (borrowed for troubleshooting), midiman 2x2 (nightmare just to find the correct driver) and a MOTU express XT. All have the same problem - input to PT is fine but no output possible anywhere.

PT will also not receive any midi unless 'midi through' is checked in PT. I don't remember it being like this before.

I would really appreciate help as I am at my wits end.

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:53 AM

Default Re: No Midi output

I have the same problem. PT 8.0.3, Windows 7 beta drivers, mbox 2 mini
Old 06-27-2010, 07:25 AM

Default Re: No Midi output

After numerous re-install and the same result, I searched the Windows HD forum and found the solution:

SOLUTION
Been having trouble getting MIDI out of PT 8 on a Vista platform myself and finally found a solution!!
(From Avid Support's Knowledge Base)
Run as Administrator
This can help with a variety of MIDI issues (i.e., no MIDI output or HUI communication) and using the ASIO Digidesign Driver in third-party DAW's.
Right-click on the problematic application's icon on your desktop.
Choose Run as Administrator.

To permanently run an application as an administrator
Right-click on the problematic application's icon on your desktop.
Choose Properties.
Click on the Shortcut tab.
Click on Advanced.
Check the box that says “Run as administrator”.
Click OK.