Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2012, 10:59 AM

Default how to control "guitar in" input gain ?

hi,

i've notice that when trying to record a dry guitar signal through the 11r + pro tools ( input on pro tools channel is set to "guitar in" ), the input gain signal is real low ( -15db to -22db ).
how can i increase it without the need to use rigs ?
for the mic i have gain knob, in the rigs i got volume control, what about just plugging in a dry guitar or bass ??
Old 06-28-2012, 11:05 AM

Default Re: how to control "guitar in" input gain ?

That's the level it is, you get gain by reamping that signal (whether you reamp in the Eleven Rack or via a plugin (Eleven Free, Eleven, SansAmp, etc.). There is no control of the actual input/pre-amp gain in the Eleven Rack.

if you want to increase the actual recorded level into Pro Tools you will need to boost the signal into the Eleven Rack.

Darryl
Old 06-28-2012, 11:27 AM

Why would you like to raise the level ?

If the "dry" recorded level was higher than what your guitar produce, you would have problems when reamping.

It's not low, it's just not amplified, so that when you reamp, the input "sees" the same level as if you were playing the rig with your guitar.

On the other hand, if you want to use your dry signal with a software (like Guitar rig, etc) and need to increase it, you can adjust the levels in your daw

Hope it helps
Old 06-28-2012, 11:31 AM

ok, thank's.

i was just curios about how to record an active acoustic guitar straight in...
without any rigs, re amping or plugins.
i guess i could disable all the rig effects/amps/cabs and use the white boost for more input gain.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:34 AM

Well, haven't tried it myself, but I would rather use the parametric eq, at least if you want a clean sound.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyoli View Post
Well, haven't tried it myself, but I would rather use the parametric eq, at least if you want a clean sound.
just plugged my acoustic, disabled cabs/amps/effects, checked the para eq only and just raised the output, absolutely amazing !!! clean sound at a decent input gain level ( about -10db ).

thank you mate !!!
Old 06-29-2012, 01:34 PM

This is a very realistic scenario. I do this a lot with my Taylor T5. You actually get quite nice tone just DI into PT. Instead of re-amping you can then process it with other plugin’s if you like and just keep the clean sound. I still sometimes find it hard to get as much input level as I would like but it does work ok.

One other thing a guy could try is to play with the True-Z settings a bit and see if you can still get a nice clean sound and just boost that input level a bit. Anyone try that yet?
Old 06-29-2012, 01:48 PM

Here is another trick you can try that I have done a lot playing live.

Setup a rig with nothing but one of the old fender amps... forget which one I use... but turn the cab OFF because you want a fuller frequency response with an acoustic. If you set it up nice with a bit of EQ on the right side of the amp, you can essentially build a nice warm acoustic amp kind of thing. Give this a try. I have a rig I setup like this with my Taylor T5 I use in a DADGAD tuning and a dash of chorus and reverb and I get monster tone live. Actually, out of everything I have ever done, that setting with that guitar gets more attention than anything else. I have literally had guys lined up asking how I get that kind of tone. I just tell them to go to the DUC man!

Old 07-09-2012, 05:27 PM

Have you tried using a Pre-Amp?

I use a Taylor K4 with my T5's, but obviously there are plenty of pre-amps to choose from. Using one gives plenty of control over the level and tone shaping of the signal going into the next stage, be it the 11R, an Amp or a Desk.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O