Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 12-04-2017, 08:20 PM

Default Re: ilok via a usb hub ?

Yes we have the same hub as Eric Seaberg and it works Great! I have started to think maybe the USB issues people have had with iloks dropping out is due to the fact that if you have more peripherals attached to the computers USB ports and other ports the more juice is needed and then the powered hubs are the way to go.

I have never had the USB3 problem on any of our three MBP's and never on the two nMP either but also we have had powered USB3 hubs since the start of using the USB3 ports.

This might be a guess from me but maybe a powered hub is needed when there are more hungry external devices connected ... Hope the OP gets this working quickly as these issues shouldn't be this hard to fix in "2018" when we can do soo much other amazing things in the world, this niggle stops a whole studio and the people in it all because of a small "blue piece of plastic" disconnecting when it feel like it

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-05-2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
I've used a D-Link USB 2 hub for the last 10 years without issues.

It is bus powered and works with Waves USB key, iLok, Steinberg key all without issue and all at once.
I am using the same setup without issues too (i'm on PC)
Old 04-14-2018, 08:45 AM

I'm bumping this thread, as I still can't get this working, 2015 mbp, powered usb 3 hub (loads of models, last one tried was an anker) non-powered USB2 hubs, powered usb2 hubs, how can this product be so weak yet be the core tool needed to use your software,

I should point out that while testing this I just have the USB hub plugged in with an ilok2 and a thunderbolt 2 connection to the audio device, that's it, nothing else.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Darcy View Post
I'm bumping this thread, as I still can't get this working, 2015 mbp, powered usb 3 hub (loads of models, last one tried was an anker) non-powered USB2 hubs, powered usb2 hubs, how can this product be so weak yet be the core tool needed to use your software,

I should point out that while testing this I just have the USB hub plugged in with an ilok2 and a thunderbolt 2 connection to the audio device, that's it, nothing else.
Hey Matt, I hear you as I had lots of problems with the iLok2 too. One thing which never failed to work was to have the iLok plugged into one of the USB 2 ports of the original Apple Keyboard with the Numeric Keypad.

This always worked when nothing else did at the end of the day. I now have found a variant where I have plugged a powered USB 2 hub into a powered USB 3 hub which is then connected to my MBP finally. I have to say
this really works now. No other hub-variant ever did before though. Even a non powered USB 2 hub into my powered USB 3 hub going directly into my MBP...no chance.

So try this. A powered USB 2 hub into a powered USB 3 hub directly into one of the USB 3 ports of your Mac. However if anything else fails to work get the original Apple Keyboard with the Numeric Keypad and plug the
iLok2 into one of its USB ports. That will work for sure from my personal experience.

The best of success to you.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:54 AM

I hope so, as you won't believe it, after ilok manager asked me to update (I was using ilok manager to test if the hub was picking up the key or not) I plugged the ilok into the mac and upated the ilok manager software, all of sudden ilok won't work at all, it's detected, but it won't sync and it won't activate pro-tools, so now time for the over the top recovery process with ilok which means I have to ship the device from the UK to the states just to be able to use the software I've paid to use....on a device I've paid to hold my licenses, it normally takes about 8 weeks door to door, so 8 weeks, lots of hassle and cost to use software I'm paying to use.

I hate ilok, it's the biggest scam ever.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I hope so, as you won't believe it, after ilok manager asked me to update (I was using ilok manager to test if the hub was picking up the key or not) I plugged the ilok into the mac and upated the ilok manager software, all of sudden ilok won't work at all, it's detected, but it won't sync and it won't activate pro-tools, so now time for the over the top recovery process with ilok which means I have to ship the device from the UK to the states just to be able to use the software I've paid to use....on a device I've paid to hold my licenses, it normally takes about 8 weeks door to door, so 8 weeks, lots of hassle and cost to use software I'm paying to use.

I hate ilok, it's the biggest scam ever.
This is why you should have ZDT coverage and a second iLok. ZDT is $30 US per year and the cheapest insurance one can ever have. I have it on both of my iLoks - wouldn't have it any other way. Also the free TLC (theft & loss coverage). I'd rather have an iLok than any other licensing system.

Now if only Vienna used an iLok instead of their own dongle I'd be as happy as a clam.

QAPLA!
Old 04-14-2018, 01:10 PM

you're right, I should have ZDT, however, why should I pay more for something I'm already paying for, and has an operating model that doesn't work, why do I need to fund a work around for a shoddy operating model and engineered lock in, we all know there is no real reason to have to send the ilok back and go through the drawn out process.

The hardware is poor, the software is average, the solution is terrible. I'm not giving them more money than I have to.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
you're right, I should have ZDT, however, why should I pay more for something I'm already paying for, and has an operating model that doesn't work, why do I need to fund a work around for a shoddy operating model and engineered lock in, we all know there is no real reason to have to send the ilok back and go through the drawn out process.

The hardware is poor, the software is average, the solution is terrible. I'm not giving them more money than I have to.
Why pay more? So you can keep working that's why. For the majority of people the iLok works just fine - it just has a problem with not always playing nice with USB3 ports.

Like I said - it's the cheapest insurance one can buy. You certainly don't go without car or home owner's insurance right?

The reason the iLok has to go back is so they can recover your licenses. They're not going to release the software to do that to the open world or else intellectual property (aka software) would have no value.

You have no one to blame for being in this situation but yourself.

QAPLA!
Old 04-16-2018, 01:27 PM

thats pretty much the worst reasoning I've heard.

you have a product that you HAVE to buy from a specific company
you have a product that you then have to pay extra on top of to give you a temporary license why they charge you more money to replace the item that has failed, and make you pay over the top shipping fee's to the USA from the UK, while they then take a protracted time period to then recover your licenses and then charge you to ship a replacement for the product that has failed back out to you.

That's not insurance, thats basically "we are such as scam and rip off, we're in a position to charge you more money to minimise your dealings with us"

in the modern world, where you have to sign up for an ilok account that is linked to your physical device, it would not be a problem for them to just void your old ilok, and push the new licenses to your account with the replacement ilok in, no need to send it back, no need for weeks of recover, no need for over the top shipping process, it's basically a lock in tax.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
thats pretty much the worst reasoning I've heard.

you have a product that you HAVE to buy from a specific company
you have a product that you then have to pay extra on top of to give you a temporary license why they charge you more money to replace the item that has failed, and make you pay over the top shipping fee's to the USA from the UK, while they then take a protracted time period to then recover your licenses and then charge you to ship a replacement for the product that has failed back out to you.

That's not insurance, thats basically "we are such as scam and rip off, we're in a position to charge you more money to minimise your dealings with us"

in the modern world, where you have to sign up for an ilok account that is linked to your physical device, it would not be a problem for them to just void your old ilok, and push the new licenses to your account with the replacement ilok in, no need to send it back, no need for weeks of recover, no need for over the top shipping process, it's basically a lock in tax.
Whatever, dude. You've been given how you could have saved yourself from all this grief but you just don't get it. I and many others would rather spend the money on ZDT and a second iLok. But if you want to live life on the edge then so be it.

QAPLA!