Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2006, 12:52 PM

Default Anyone have any success using a Mac Mini with PTMP

Here is my dilema. I don't have the money to purchase a G5 Power Mac. But I do have money to upgrade my current G4 400MHz computer. Would it be better to upgrade my G4 to a Dual Processor G4 with 2GB's of RAM and ample Hard Drive space? Or, do you think I should spend the same amount of money, and purchase a Mac Mini Intel Duo computer?

I record audio mainly. I use the effects plug-ins that came with the software. I haven't used any new plug-ins, or any type of PCI card effects card. I may look into that in the future. I also do not do any midi on the software, but again, that is something I'd get into later on.

I know that Mac Mini is not meant for professional use, but as you can see the bind i'm in, what would you recommend? I'm looking for something that will last me a few years. I'm not that big in upgrading my software unless I "have" to. So if things work well in ProTools 7, then i'm good for a long while.

If you can let me know what you think, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:18 AM

Default Re: Anyone have any success using a Mac Mini with PTMP

I would definitely go for the Intel Mac Mini that is $799 with the Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz chip. Upgrade the RAM to 1GB or 2GB and make sure you are using an external firewire hard drive for your Pro Tools sessions. I just picked up one of the Intel Mac Minis two weeks ago and I am loving it so far. I believe they are very powerful for the price but right this moment Pro Tools LE doesn't work on them because it isn't a Universal app. Digidesign has said the update should be out around the end of the month though.