Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2003, 02:26 PM

Default I need drums for my studio, help

I am not a drummer so I don't have a clue. I want to get a good quality, good sounding set of drums for my studio. I have recorded a few bands already and they either have crappy sounding drums, awesome drums with worn out heads, or both. I just think it would make my job a lot easier if I had a set of drums that I know are going to sound good. I have talked to some friends that are drummers and they say go with birch. I've talked to people in Nashville and they say all the session players are playing maple. I'm not afraid to spend the $$$ but would a set of Pacific maple drums sound as good as DW. I know that DW makes Pacific. I found a 5 piece set of new DW maple with hardware for around $3000.
I know this is like asking which mic or mic pre should I get but like I said, with drums I don't have a clue.

Thanks,
Len
Old 08-11-2003, 03:04 PM

Default Re: I need drums for my studio, help

i'm a drummer and engineer, and I have a set of pearls, session series which are 100% maple and are a good value. I have never heard a crappy DW set by the way. Keep in mind i'd say only 40% of the drums sound come from the drum themselves, maybe less. Something very important is heads that match the style of music and sound quality desired. The most important part is someone who knows how to tune them. If you're not a drummer i suggest having someone who's very good at tuning drums do it. A skilled tuner can make a $500 set sound better than someone who doesn't know what he's doing on a $2000 set.

hope this helps
Old 08-11-2003, 03:10 PM

Yamaha Recording Custom kit, UFIP hihat, Zildian A Custom ride/crashes/splashes, DW hardware. Oh and get a good drummer too while you're at it.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:52 PM

Even a modern Pearl Export has enough sound to record and a cost that is bearable. Get some Evans G2 coated for tops and G1 clear for bottoms and its a happening thing. Get the heads to speak right and you'll do fine.

Or you could buy my Premier Signias...
Old 08-11-2003, 04:09 PM

I have Pearl Exports with Wood snare (vs steel) and Zilgian A Cymbals (they are less bright than Sabians). Kick, Snare, Hihat, Crash and Ride plus three Toms all came to $1100.

I like the sound of my kit, it's warm but crisp sounding.

But as was said before getting a good drum sound is alot about set up, miking—makes a HUGE difference (especially when you only have two inputs..ie. mbox)—and the room you are in.

Good Luck.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:19 PM

Having a god kit is only half the battle. Know how to tune is the key. A medeocre set can sound killer if tuned properly, however a great kit will still sound like crap if it's not properly tuned, not only to the tune and musical style but to itself.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by where02190:
Having a good kit is only half the battle. Know how to tune is the key. A medeocre set can sound killer if tuned properly, however a great kit will still sound like crap if it's not properly tuned, not only to the tune and musical style but to itself.

Hope this is helpful.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You hit the stick right on the head with this one. I'm not a drummer (I'm a basher, it's cheap therapy). I wouldn't waste the money unless you really really feel like you must. You can make almost any drum set (any over let's say $500-$700) sound really good if it has new heads and it's tuned properly (a good drummer doesn't hurt either). I have however, spent many many hours studying and applying different drum tuning techniques. Insist that your clients have new drum heads when they come to record. You wouldn't record a guitar with old rusty strings on it would you? Why should drums be any different.

Having said all that, if you really feel that you must buy a drum set, and your not worried about the money. Get DW's. I've never heard crappy sounding DW's. They're simply awesome drums!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is cymbols. I would invest in some really nice cymbols before investing in the actual drums. You can put new heads on a clients drums and tune them up and get them to sound really nice if you have the time and they have the money. But you can't tune crappy sounding cymbols.

In my experience with cymbols, you get what you pay for. Everybody has a preference on cymbols and it depends on the style and all that. So I can't really tell you what sounds better. Go down to your local drum shop and see for yourself which ones sound better. Good luck with your dilema.

I wish I had enough money to even consider a dilema like yours [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2003, 08:07 PM

One more thing. I really dig brass snares. They give you that nice crisp sound without sounding harsh. A little bit more earthy then other metal snares. I dig em! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2003, 08:21 PM

Both of my brothers play drums. One plays a DW kit and a vintage Slingerland and the other plays Noble&Cooley. The Noble&Cooley drums are by far some of the best sounding and best built drums that I have heard. If you have the money for them, I highly recomend them.