Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 05:30 AM

Default eeking extra CPU (OSX)

I am using Protools LE 6.4 (mbox) with 1.5g of RAM on a Apple G5 1.6 running OSX panther

I keep getting the message telling me CPU has run out increase H/W buffer size or reduce tracks/plug-ins being used! Are there any tricks I can use to give me a little CPU boost? I already followed instructions to stop my mac 'sleeping' 'energy save'! HELP
Old 08-03-2004, 09:54 AM

Default Re: eeking extra CPU (OSX)

You must have a pretty intense session, huh? I'd imagine a G5 would be able to handle quite a bit.

Have you tried turning off Low Latency Monitoring (not sure if you can / how you would do this on an mbox)? What about bussing tracks to an aux track and applying plugs there? Also, you can record, say, a new stereo track of a just the drums (a stereo submix) within PT. Then, disable all the original drum tracks' plugs (control-command-click) to save CPU power. If you need to change said submix, go back to the original tracks, make the changes, and re-record the stereo submix.

Also, if the arrangement permits, condense all the vocal tracks into one or two tracks by creating a new vox track (call it comped vox, maybe).

Don't forget about audiosuite, too. You can always bring back the original track if you need to make adjustments later. Just remember what the original filename is, so that you can import it back.

Hope this has helped.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:01 AM

In the System Preferences, under Energy Saver, there's an option that supposedly makes your CPU draw less power. You can switch it from an automatic setting to a maximum setting. Contrary to what Apple says, the max setting does give you more power from the CPU, so if you're on auto now, you can look forward to a little more power from your machine.

Max
Old 08-13-2004, 08:36 AM

I thought the same when I upgraded from a G4 to a G5 (dual 500 to dual 2.0) but I still have to be pretty careful in 24/96. I've never had a problem in 16/44.1, unless I'm ReWiring a couple of different instruments, but I really never wanted to go back to 16/44.1 after I got the bigger CPU. I also suggest lots and lots or RAM for the G5's!

MAX
Old 08-19-2004, 08:27 PM

I am about to buy a dual 2.0. Can you give me an idea of how many tracks, plugins at 24/96 before you start getting cpu error messages. Also what do you consider "lots" of RAM? 2 gig, 4 gig or more?
thanx
Old 08-24-2004, 02:11 PM

You can also "renice" protools to take priority over all other processes. ProTools must be running for this to work & it is necessry to do these each time you launch protools.

You need to get the Process ID for protools when its running (use top to get the PID) then in terminal type: sudo renice -20 [PID]
enter an adminintrator password when prompted and PT will now take top priority. In terminal type "man renice" (no quotes) to learn more about it & read the manual page.

Always err on the side of perfection.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:58 AM

If you limit yourself to fifteen audio tracks or so, and you have a good amount or RAM you shouldn't get too many error messages. I have 3.5G ram.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:36 AM

To get the best performance try the following:

have _maximum_ ram
repair permissions, run disk utility, reboot
open only PT
disable any extraneous plug-ins (consider Audio Suite'ing some of the processor hogs)
delete any extra tracks, auxs, etc. (be sure to check hidden)
increase cache
thin automation
consolidate all tracks (fewer regions)
disable real-time fader movement in automation prefs
view the mixer screen and don't mouse around

Hope that helps!