Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2004, 12:26 AM

Default recording acoustic stuff - questions

Hey just wondering what everyone's mic choices would be for a double bass (stand up) without pickups and a viola?

Actually its a quartet (2 acoustic guitars, double bass and viola)....any suggestions on how to mic that? (no amps all acoustic)

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2004, 01:20 AM

Default Re: recording acoustic stuff - questions

I'd use stereo XY + a room mic.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:17 AM

The x/y is natural way to go, especially if you've got a nice room. If you are wanting to mix and have some isolation of tracks, or have a small room CLOSER mic'ing may be in order. I don't say CLOSE mic'ing because violins and violas are tough to close mic and not get a raspy sound. (this is not the player's fault but the nature of the instrument. ok a bad player can sound bad at any distance...) Up close a violin/viola doesn't sound that pleasant so getting the mic away a couple feet will help.

Depending on the style I have good luck with ribbon mic (rca 77d) on upright about 18" away, about halfway between the bridge and the heel putting slightly downward. Guitars - classic method, small diaphragm condenser diagonally pointing in to the 12th fret, large diaphragm pointing in toward the saddle. Violas - from above with large diaphragm, not directly above, but at an angle pointing towards the bridge. Set the booms so you're clear of the bows. Nothing will intimidate a violist/violinist more than having any impediments to their bow arms. (don't get me started on viola jokes... that's a whole new thread)
Old 06-10-2004, 08:17 AM

ORTF - much bigger sound field than XY or MS. I use an ORTF setup for all my classical/audiophile recording. To enhance the depth and ambience, try flanking an omni several feet to each side of the ORTF pair and a few feet back.

You may need to use a spot on the bass (if the player is doing mainly pizzicatto - if he's bowing he'll be loud enough). Depending on the guitars, they may also need a spot. If they are well rehearsed and play well with each other, they will balance themselves and you won't need to worry about spots at all. You may just need to make a few gentle comments to help them balance in the room.

Orchestra strings radiate their sound up and out - so keep that in mind when setting up the mics.

HTH

Always err on the side of perfection.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:06 PM

Hey this is what came out...I did it in a bit of a rush and it was a free job so I didn't go too crazy with mics.... Have a listen if you are interested..

http://www.lastounce.com/puppet1.mp3

Comments are very welcome
Old 06-22-2004, 06:29 AM

Typically I use a single Audio Technica 4041. IT varies from instrument to instrument where exactly ti ends up, but typiclally somewhere around where the neck ends, usually on players left side, and about 2-3 feet away.