Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2004, 10:07 PM

Default Pro Tools 6.1.2 crashing--PLEASE HELP!!!

I've been having a major problem with Pro Tools and I can't figure out how to solve it. I'm running Pro Tools 6.1.2 on a Mac G4 867 Mhz machine with 1Gig of RAM, OS10.2.8. I'm using the DIGI 001. The problem started when Pro Tools froze in the middle of playing a session (I got the pinwheel and had to force quit). When I restarted the computer, Pro Tools wouldn't even launch--sometimes I got "DAE Error 6012", other times it would simply say "Pro Tools Has Unexpectedly Quit". I went through the troubleshoot checklist listed at the top of this user conference and checked off all the items--trashed preferences, made sure all the system prefs were set correctly, etc.... I ran DIGITEST and it failed acoss all categories with the message"FAILED--Unable to load DSP code." Based on this test and some info I got off of ANSWERBASE, I moved the sound card into a different slot, restarted and ran DIGITEST again. This time, it passed. I launched Pro Tools and for the first time it booted up. I opened 3 different sessions and tried playback on them all. On the third session it froze up again and gave me DAE Error 6045 and then DAE Error 9162. I had to force quit. After restarting, I ran Digitest again and it passed. I was able to launch Pro Tools and it actually worked for 3 days, allowing me to record and playback perfectly. But today I sat down to launch it up and it crashed with the message "Pro Tools Has Unexpectedly Quit". This time I created a new user and uninstalled Pro Tools and then re-installed it under the new user name. But it stilled crashed on launch.

This has been going on for a long time. Pro Tools won't work, I'll troubleshoot, and somehow it'll work for a very short period of time, but then it always goes back to the same errors. I've completely reinstalled my system software and had my computer checked for any hardware problems, but it checked out fine. Is there anything else I can do? Is it perhaps a problem with the DIGI 001 hardware or sound card? Thanks for reading and helping if you can.

e
Old 06-02-2004, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 6.1.2 crashing--PLEASE HELP!!!

Go back and delete all the preferences and Digi Database folders again. This time also go through your session folders and look for any .wfm/.wfo (I can't remember the exact extension) files. They are a waveform overview cache. Delete those - they are often corrupted when you force quit PT and cause it to crash on launch.

HTH

Always err on the side of perfection.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 6.1.2 crashing--PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks a lot for the tip. I tried trashing all the prefs again and then went into my sessions and found only one file with a .wfm extension on it, so I deleted that too. But it didn't seem to have any effect, Pro Tools still won't launch. Any other thoughts? I'm thinking I may just have to send my 001 and sound card back to Digidesign for them to take a look at.

e