Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-17-2004, 01:05 PM

Default 002R preamps, Rode NTK, Event Monitors?

Hi All,

I'm just at the research stage as I decide about upgrading my studio from the Digi 001. I'm considering my wish list, and then reconsidering it based on my budget. I'd like to keep the cost down, but get the best quality for the money...uh, like everyone else.

Here's what I'm considering and I may have to do it in steps:

Digi 002R - How are the preamps (I know they're better than the 001s)? Should I consider buying a preamp if I upgrade my mic from an AKG 3000?

One of these Mics: Rode NTK , AKG Solidtube, AKG C414B/TLII, Blue Baby Bottle? I'm mainly recording female vocals (pop, rock, blues, country).

Monitors: leaning toward the Event Active (can't afford the SP8 or SP6) TR5s?

I've done a search here and seen some related info, but...any other suggestions? I'd like to use my interface, 002R or other with Logic (don't hurt me). I could use the 001 a bit longer for PT and get a less expensive interface for Logic (not sure what). Not the Mbox (would like at least 4 inputs for multitrack recording and monitor outs). And, not the Motu 828mkII - without PT or Logic included, unless there's a very good reason-like amazing preamps, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sorry if my logic sounds flawed (pun intended).
Old 05-17-2004, 02:09 PM

Default Re: 002R preamps, Rode NTK, Event Monitors?

I'd say you've picked good stuff, I had the same stuff, 002, NTK, TR5. Sounded great.

I liked my NTK. I've heard little good about the SolidTube, and little bad about the NTK. Your choice there.

I graduated to a Soundelux U195, sold my NTK to a friend. We're both happy.

Old 05-17-2004, 03:41 PM

I love my Tr5's
Old 05-17-2004, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the responses!

I think I'm zeroing in a little better now on a couple of these items. I've done some more research today as well. I've seen two posts (here and at another site) of people having to replace the tube in the NTK. However, it seems to be a cheap ($17-$25) and easy process (if it ever needs replacing) due to the well designed NTK.

I'm probably going with the TR5s. Seems like a good choice for the $.

Thanks again!
katTin
Old 05-17-2004, 08:27 PM

The 002/002R are decent units for the money (but if digi is true to form they'll discontinue software compatibility in about 3 yrs for it as they just did for the 001) the NTK, by far IMHO the best mic in the under $1000 range you can buy, and a superb choice in vocal mics.

Can't comment on the Events, we've got JBL LSR 28P's that you'll be prying from my cold stiff hands, along with NS-10's.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:50 PM

I have a pair of TR5 I'm about ready to put on Ebay... email if interested.

Quote:
Thanks for the responses!

I think I'm zeroing in a little better now on a couple of these items. I've done some more research today as well. I've seen two posts (here and at another site) of people having to replace the tube in the NTK. However, it seems to be a cheap ($17-$25) and easy process (if it ever needs replacing) due to the well designed NTK.

I'm probably going with the TR5s. Seems like a good choice for the $.

Thanks again!
katTin

Old 05-18-2004, 02:16 PM

where02190, yer funny. I mean that with respect. I saw your reply to my Digi 001 "Buy & Sell" post. How could I argue with THAT?! Digi removed it though. I agree with your statement above about the 002R (has me spooked, along with other issues like CoreAudio and 6.4 bugs, etc.).

Do you know much about the Motu 828MkII? It's preamps, etc. Of course, by the time Logic 7 is out, hopefully, there will be more hardware interface options to choose from. Do you use the mic preamps on the 002 or do you have a separate mic preamp? Any recommendations, budget-wise, there?

The JBLs are too rich ($) for my blood, especially with all I'm considering. I'll need to upgrade my computer in a year or so as well. May take another look at the NS-10s. Anyway, I can't imagine ever being desperate enough (although, I might be if I heard 'em ) to want to pry your JBLs from your cold, stiff hands. Thanks!

tele_player, why are you selling the TR5s? I'll take a look on eBay.

Thanks again!

Old 05-18-2004, 02:31 PM

The 002r is better than the 001 by a fair amount. Don't fret the obsolescence thing. Even the 828s will be obsolete in a few years. Get what you need to do the job. I set up a studio for a friend based on the 828mkII. it has some nice features, but I swear I'd strangle someone if I had to put up with the myriad of windows you have to have open to get anything done in Digital Performer. And the automation is just a hassle. Pro Tools is an industry standard for a reason.

The NTK is cool, but as an only mic I might opt for the C414B/ULS (or the new version of that the XLS I believe). The TLII is cool, but I prefer the B/ULS as an all around mic. Great on just about anything. And yes, I'd spring for a nice preamp, or perhaps a channel strip. Just to give you more options. Check around for used gear and see if you can't score an API or similar style unit.

HTH

Always err on the side of perfection.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:54 PM

Quote:
The 002r is better than the 001 by a fair amount. Don't fret the obsolescence thing. Even the 828s will be obsolete in a few years. Get what you need to do the job. I set up a studio for a friend based on the 828mkII. it has some nice features, but I swear I'd strangle someone if I had to put up with the myriad of windows you have to have open to get anything done in Digital Performer. And the automation is just a hassle. Pro Tools is an industry standard for a reason
I beg to differ on the obselescence of MOTU vs Protools. I just finished a session that incorporated some extremely old MOTU interfaces that were supported by the latest version of DP and worked without a hitch.

We do not use the pres or any i/o on our 001 except the spdif which connect to apogee converters. Since we don't track into Protools (everything tracks into a Mackie HDR 24/96) the 2 i/o is all we need, giving us the ability to monitor tracks mixed in Protools (transfered to PT from the HDR via a firedock system)and to record the two mix from our analog console (Soundtracs SoloLogic with automation).

As far as DP being complex to use automation, I can only speak for the lastest version, but I found it very intuitive nd no harder than PT, enable the track to record automation by clincking the record automation button in the GUI, play the selection to be automated, and move whatever you wish to automate, volume, pan, mute, aux, etc. While I didn't automate any plugins, I got the impression it was not much more complex. The only open windown necessary to record or update automation is the mix window.

Therer were a few quirks that I could do without, but mostly because it's a different way fo doing things than I am used to, because I am familiar with PT and Mackie editing, but I found myself quite comfortable quickly with DP, and grateful for the chance to work in it.

After spending a week in DP I am definitely considering going that route, there doesn's seem to be anything DP and an 828 interface can't do that PT can, and given how well ti ran on ancient hardware with the latest software, I feel much more confident that my purchase will still be supported in 2-3 years.

There are definitely many good sounding monitors on the market for much less than the LSR's. I worked on them last year at Pie Studios out in Long Island, alongside a pari of NS-10's. We at that time had 10's and Genelec 1030A's, which we were less than pleased with. I fell in love with the LSR's, and immediately sought out a pair, selling the Genelecs as soon as I found them. We have absolutely no regrets, the LSR mixes are fabulous right from the getgo, I've never worked on a montior I trust more. Fortunately we were able to sell the 1030A's for the same price we paid for the LSR's, so the trade couldn't have worked better.

OF course new NS-10's don't exsist, except with junkies like me that bought up several pairs when they got discontinued, and the prices of used ones are going through the roof. Don't even think of asking if I want to sell any of my stash, not gonna happen!!!
Old 05-18-2004, 05:01 PM

Uh, yup, right...no NS-10s (even used). Won't sell any of your stash. Humm...

"prying it out of my cold stiff hands", I will never be that desperate! I will never be that desperate! I will never be that desperate. I will never...