Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2004, 01:27 AM

Default A coupla questions

First off, can someone confirm the most recent version of OS that can be used with 6.4/001? I remember accidentally downloading an OS update and PT wouldn't start, so I went back and put the earlier OS back in place. Since then, I've sort of lost touch with exactly what was current spec. The compatibility page leaves me with more questions than answers. Is there a reason why "Mac OS X 10.3.3 has not been fully tested with Pro Tools and is not recommended" but OS 10.3.5 is okay? Is that fine for my PT config? Have I heard right that 6.4 is the end of the line for 001?

This week, I got a whole string of -6045 errors, one after another. The only thing I can think that changed so that this error would show up when it never has before is that I had some Waves and Nomad Factory plugins that I demoed and deleted after they expired. I looked at the support and answerbase pages and didn't find anything of use. I have no plugins but the stock ones now, so things should be back to normal. I tried to disable the Motormix controller, and tried to minimize track count but even 4 tracks didn't do any good. I stopped Quick Punch mode... nothing. I don't know what was going on that day, but today, I got precisely none of the 6045 stuff. I'm sure I restarted as part of the usual troubleshooting process, but otherwise, things have just been left on as usual.

Also, what playback engine settings are recommended for this system? I have been getting a semi-frequent notice saying the operating system has held off for too long, particularly when I am changing plugins while playing audio. I don't remember this happening in OS9, and when I was using 9, I was using my 867mhz G4, which ostensibly is a less capable machine. For general work, I have set the DAE buffer to 8 and the CPU limit to 85% and still have gotten the notice about OS holding off. Changing the buffer size to 1024 for playback is fine more or less, but 1024 obviously isn't where its at for recording or any real time work.

Also, I have the mp3 option downloaded and in the right folder, but can't seem to get it authorized. I bought it two years ago or so, and now the serial code they sent in the original email doesn't authorize it. Where can I get that info?

Thanks
Old 12-31-2004, 05:32 AM

Default Re: A coupla questions

Hi TAPKAE,

Most recent OSX download > 10.3.7 > works fine with my Digi 001 with 6.4

6.4 is the last PTLE software available for us die hard 001 boys. ..and yes, the plug-in and virtual instrument upgrade/update can be disappointing. I'll give you an example...Waves wants to charge $275.00US for WUP. Battery is $29.00 - Reason is free for 2.0 and 2.5 owners. Plugsound is free. Bomb Factory has a free download available on the Digidesign site. Oh yeah, I had a the same problem getting my mp3 option to work in OSX, but after re-visiting the digistore and downloading the product the 2nd time in OSX, all I did was copy the challenge, and I was up and running. You need the order # to make this happen. Also when you 1st chose the download for 6.4, I believe that there was an option to include the mp3 option, and not the demo.... cool

Happy New Year ...!!!

kenny
Old 01-02-2005, 01:01 AM

Default Re: A coupla questions

Okay... I went to the Digistore... was I supposed to *buy* that thing a second time? I have the documentation, I believe, but there wasn't any place that seemed to take it. Hmmm.

Also, is everyone in agreement about 10.3.7 being a good platform for 6.4 on PTLE001?

I haven't bought any plugins yet due to a year or more of ho hum attitude toward recording, but if indeed the 001 is a dying cause, maybe its time to jump ship to an 002 rack at least, or if the plugin package suits me, one of the bundle deals. I'll have to do some research on that one first... I hardly use what I got, but I wouldn't want to buy plugs only to have to pay for them again once I decide to up the PT rig.