Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2012, 08:07 AM

Default Running through Cabs..

Ok.. so a few weeks ago. I ran my 11R via the effects loop of my amp.. was using the send/return from the 11R to amp and bypassing the cab settings.
and this sounded great!!

So, I went about my business getting a real good and prooven poweramp.. hooked it all up today.. and it sounds dull, dead and generally not very nice.. like there is a few blankets over the speakers sort of thing. (hard to explain)

Im connected in stereo, via the Output to amps 1 and 2. - running rig outputs with no cab option.. (what is the other button RESO mean)??

Anwyay.. - will I get a differnt sound if I run via the Main outputs? - as this is real disapointing to be frank.. Its not the poweramp as thats totally flat responce! and my cabs are top class. so I doubt its that!.

Any suggestions? or have I jumped on the wrong ship on this occasion and not gone for this option at all.

Cheers
Old 04-13-2012, 01:11 AM

Default Re: Running through Cabs..

The Output to Amp jacks output at instrument level; the main XLR outs are line level. In other words, the main outs will drive your power amp better. Grab a couple of XLR to TRS cables for that.

Sorry but I have to ask - since you're running in stereo, you ARE using TWO cabinets, right? What are they?

Have you matched the impedance of the power amp to the cabinets? An impedance mismatch can cause undesirable results.

Wiring: From what you've written I understand that you're running:
Guitar > 11R in
Output to Amp set to "Rig Out No Cab"
11R Out to Amp (x2) > power amp in (L&R) > speaker cabs
Correct?

You're using "Rig Out No Cab", which is fine for running to a power amp\guitar cabinet and if you aren't planning to send a direct signal to a PA. If you DO want to send a signal to the PA with cab and mic sims intact, you need to use "Amp Output" instead, because "Rig Out No Cab" defeats cab sims on ALL outputs.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:56 AM

Basiclly yeah Ive got the setup just right.
but everything is just sounding a bit lifeless currently and not sure why...

I did try conencting main outs direct to poweramp, as they also have XLR inputs.. but I got NO sound at all from that.. so Had to run out to amp 1 and 2

Any idea why the XLR wont work? as they work perfect when using them with my studio moniters..
Old 04-13-2012, 02:13 AM

I can't think of why you'd get no sound using XLR cables. That's an odd one. Is there anywhere on the power amp where you can switch the input source (between XLR or 1/4")? Was there something plugged into the 1/4" input at the same time you were trying to use the XLRs?

Stupid question: the volume was turned up, right? I've missed simple stuff like that myself...

What make\model is the power amp? Of course, there's also the possibility that the power amp itself is a dud.

I don't have my 11 right in front of me - is there a place in the individual amp presets where you can set up the output levels on a per output basis? Or is that only the Out to Amp levels?

It's late, and maybe I'm missing something...
Old 04-13-2012, 02:35 AM

well the poweramp works fine.. as I tested this with the Kemper and all works just fine. (using XLR) - but from 11R its a NO go. - kindda strange.

I plug the XLR from 11R to Power amp - No sound.. Plug the cable then to my moniters.. Works fine.

So the Problem lies with the 11R itself. or a setting.. but I dont see how this is the case becasue the rig outputs are set correct. (as I get sound from everything else...
Kindda weird.. and a bit frustrating!

And I also think that perhaps I have a Faulty 11R. as SPDIF does not seem to work either...

As in, I want to keep the 11R as my interface, and connect the kemper to the SPDIF for recording.. Kemper > out > 11R > IN, and dont get sound that way either.. so my options are very limited right now!

Tried contacting AVID support, but they either dont answer the phones.. and dont reply to my emails either.. rang them every day so far for a week with no hint of a call back, email back or anything..
Old 04-13-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy44 View Post
I plug the XLR from 11R to Power amp - No sound.. Plug the cable then to my moniters.. Works fine.

So the Problem lies with the 11R itself. or a setting..
I'd say that if the XLR outs on the 11R drive the monitors OK, but not the power amp, the problem's not on the 11R - it's outputting signal as it should. OTOH, if the Kemper is driving the power amp OK using those same XLR ins... Weird. Without it right in front of me, I'm lost...
Old 04-14-2012, 02:37 PM

Are you sure the volume on the 11R is set to control the main outputs? Go into the options menu and scroll down a couple of pages (I don't have mine connected at the moment to tell you exactly where it is). You can configure it to control the main outputs, amp outputs or both.

Also, check that your patches aren't set with the main outputs at zero.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy44 View Post
well the poweramp works fine.. as I tested this with the Kemper and all works just fine. (using XLR) - but from 11R its a NO go. - kindda strange.

So the Problem lies with the 11R itself. or a setting.. but I dont see how this is the case becasue the rig outputs are set correct. (as I get sound from everything else...
Kindda weird.. and a bit frustrating!

And I also think that perhaps I have a Faulty 11R. as SPDIF does not seem to work either...

As in, I want to keep the 11R as my interface, and connect the kemper to the SPDIF for recording.. Kemper > out > 11R > IN, and dont get sound that way either.. so my options are very limited right now!

Tried contacting AVID support, but they either dont answer the phones.. and dont reply to my emails either.. rang them every day so far for a week with no hint of a call back, email back or anything..
The manual says use 75 OHM coax for SPDIF.
Did you change the input signal to SPDIF?
Did you change the PT hardware setup?
Just a thought. Shooting from the hip..............
Old 06-12-2012, 08:25 AM

To use the ER as an effect with the Kemper, would I use the effects send from the KPA into the mono line in on the ER, then the Amp out from the ER into the KPA return?

Would it be better to use the mono line out from the ER back into the KPA return?

My guitar is plugged into the KPA.

I would only be using the delay, etc. on the ER, not the amp or cab.