Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2011, 12:21 PM

Default Ye Olde MBox and AMD processors?

Hi All,

For some odd reason, I bought an MBox that I didn't really need several years ago. I mostly do video. Still have the MBox w/ PTLE 6.1. Worked fine on my previous P4 system.

I now have a use for it - narration for a radio show. I want to run it on a laptop to minimize noise in the room but my current one is an older Dell Inspiron 1521 w/ AMD Turion 64 x2 mobile processor - TL60 technology - 2.0 gHz 2 gig ram - physical address extension (?) / XP home SP3 (all that from My Computer / Right Click / Properties). If I recall, early versions of PTLE were averse to some AMDs, is that right?

PT 6.1 installs fine but when I plug in the MBox and fire up PTLE I get a blue screen of death warning of an attempt to use memory that is unavailable. The whole thing just seizes in a very not good way. I, uh, uninstalled.

Sooo, What are the compatibility issues /system requirements regarding this vintage but otherwise serviceable mbox? I'm not trying to make it work on this Dell/AMD if it doesn't want to but need some guidance on what should work.

Thanks,
Old 01-06-2011, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Ye Olde MBox and AMD processors?

This is most likely that you need to update the pace drivers as I had a similar problem a long time ago with it. As soon as I would open PT, I would get the old BSOD and somehow I found out that I needed to update the pace drivers and once I did that, everything worked fine. This is only in regards to PT 6.1 to 6.4. As soon as I moved to 7.4 they automatically update the drivers in the installation process.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:34 PM

Hi Again,

Thanks for the Pace pointer. I think I've found the right D/Ls.

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode!
Old 01-06-2011, 09:14 PM

PTLE before 7.4 didnt get along well with Turions. 7.4 was the first version that seemed to play nice with the Turion

I'm not sure if the Turion X2 has the same problems with versions PTLE earlier than 7.4 since the X2 was introduced after 7.4 was released. If the latest PACE stuff doesn't work you will probably want to upgrade to 7.4 or 8.0.

If by "Ye Olde Mbox" you mean the original MBox support stops at XP SP3 and PTLE 8.0.1(and cs4 if memory serves correct). I had a original MBox running XP SP3 and a Phenom X6 and PTLE 8.0.1 and it ran just fine. I think that you may find the later versions of PTLE are going to work better for you. By all means however try what you have.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88