Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2010, 05:44 AM

Default Mbox 2 will playback but not record using ASIO drivers

I have an Mbox 2 and Protools 7 LE configuration that is normally setup on an Apple Mac and works fine.

However, I have one specific project that must be recorded on a PC (it is the narration for an on screen recording demonstration of some software for a customer).

Now, I accept that Pro Tools is fussy about hardware but I do not need Pro Tools. All I need is to record from the microphone to the PC. I have installed the ASIO drivers and find that Windows XP detects the drivers without a hitch. The Computer will allow me to select the Mbox as a playback device and it will playback as expected.

However, it does not list the Mbox in the list of Sound Recording devices. Consequently I cannot record anything.

I have tried installing, reinstalling, de installing, all kinds of stalling. I have also tried the 6.1.1 driver but that is even worse. There is not a whole lot of help from Avid.

Anyone got any suggestions?

It is getting quite urgent and the local music show keeps saying to buy some more hardware. That is not so attractive to me as it would wipe out any profit I would make on this one off recording.

John

Here is some Sandra output:

SiSoftware Sandra

Computer
Model : Lenovo 64665DG
Workgroup : WORKGROUP
Host Name : T61
User : john

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80GHz
Speed : 2GHz
Cores per Processor : 2 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Type : Mobile, Dual-Core
Integrated Data Cache : 2x 32kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 2MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 8-way, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing

Computer
Platform Compliance : Intel Centrino Mobile Technology
Mainboard : Lenovo 64665DG
BIOS : Lenovo 7LETC7WW (2.27 ) 04/08/2010
Bus(es) : PCI PCIe IMB PCMCIA CardBus USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes
Total Memory : 3GB DDR2 SO-DIMM

Chipset
Model : Lenovo T61
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 199MHz (796MHz)
Total Memory : 4GB DDR2 SO-DIMM
Shared Memory : 8MB
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 332MHz (664MHz)

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module

Video System
Video Adapter : Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (8 SP 500MHz, 384MB DDR2, Integrated Graphics)

Storage Devices
HITACHI HTS541612J9SA00 3H (120GB, SATA150, 2.5", 5400rpm, NCQ, 7MB Cache) : 112GB (C:) (D:)
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7910A (ATAPI, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : N/A (E:)

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (C:) : 73GB (NTFS) @ HITACHI HTS541612J9SA00 3H (120GB, SATA150, 2.5", 5400rpm, NCQ, 7MB Cache)
data (D:) : 39GB (NTFS) @ HITACHI HTS541612J9SA00 3H (120GB, SATA150, 2.5", 5400rpm, NCQ, 7MB Cache)
Optical Drive (E:) : N/A @ Optiarc DVD RW AD-7910A (ATAPI, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : Lenovo T61
Audio Device : Lenovo ThinkPad T61
Audio Codec : Analog Devices AD1984HD sound chip
Audio Codec : Conexant HDAudio Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
Serial Port(s) : 1
Disk Controller : Lenovo ICH8M (ICH8) 3 port SATA Controller
Disk Controller : Lenovo SD Bus Host Adapter
USB Controller 1 : Lenovo ThinkPad T61
USB Controller 2 : Lenovo ThinkPad T60
USB Controller 3 : Lenovo ThinkPad T61
USB Controller 4 : Lenovo ThinkPad T61
USB Controller 5 : Lenovo ThinkPad T61
USB Controller 6 : Lenovo ThinkPad T61
USB Controller 7 : Lenovo ThinkPad T61
FireWire/1394 Controller 1 : Lenovo R5C832 IEEE-1394 Controller
CardBus/PCMCIA Controller 1 : 65280 RL5c476 CardBus Controller
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel 801xx/63xx SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : SnagIt 8 Printer (600x600, Colour)
Printer : SnagIt 8 Printer (600x600, Colour)
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Colour)
Printer : Microsoft Office Document Image Writer Driver (200x200)
Printer : EPSON Stylus Photo R200 Series (360x360, USB, Colour)
Printer : Adobe PDF Converter (4000x4000, Colour)

Network Services
Network Adapter : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport (Ethernet, 36Mbps)
Network Adapter : Intel(R) 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Wireless Adapter 1 : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport (802.11g (ERP), AES-CCMP, 36Mbps)

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line
Battery No 1 : 100%

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 3)
Platform Compliance : x86
Old 06-04-2010, 06:42 AM

Default Re: Mbox 2 will playback but not record using ASIO drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl Ellis View Post
Now, I accept that Pro Tools is fussy about hardware but I do not need Pro Tools. All I need is to record from the microphone to the PC. I have installed the ASIO drivers and find that Windows XP detects the drivers without a hitch. The Computer will allow me to select the Mbox as a playback device and it will playback as expected.
There are two windows drivers for all Digidesign (avid?) hardware; the ASIO driver, and the Wavedriver. Are you sure you are using the ASIO driver and not the Wavedriver?

The ASIO driver will allow other programs to playback and record through the Digidesign hardware. It is controlled from inside each specific program, not through the Windows sound and recording devices control panel. What program are you using, specifically?

The Wavedriver is the generic windows sound driver. It is what you can use to set Windows in general to output through the Digidesign hardware. It is PLAYBACK ONLY. You cannot use Digidesign hardware as the generic Windows recording device.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 06-04-2010, 07:37 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I downloaded the drivers from the following location: http://archive.digidesign.com/download/audiodrivers/xp/

It is described as "Combined Standalone Installer for Digidesign ASIO Driver and Digidesign WaveDriver"

I have also tried installing Pro Tools which installs the drivers as a default tickbox options.

The software I am using is Camtasia and as far as I know, you do not choose the input device. I presume it just chooses the windows default. For testing purposes I installed Audacity and found the same thing. ie they both record from the onboard microphone (which is the control panel default microphone).
Old 06-04-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
The software I am using is Camtasia and as far as I know, you do not choose the input device.
That is correct. Camtasia uses the standard windows audio settings, which means that it is using the Digidesign Wavedriver (not the ASIO driver), which is unfortunately playback only. You will not be able to record into Camtasia with just the Digidesign (Avid?) hardware. There are ways that it can be done, but they all involve using a different sound card (like the built in one) as the final input for Camtasia, and physically routing the output from the DigiAvid hardware with cables.

Quote:
For testing purposes I installed Audacity and found the same thing.
That is correct. Audacity does not have ASIO capability right out of the box (mostly because of licensing issues). You can add it, but it is quite a pain.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 06-04-2010, 08:28 AM

OK, Thanks...

I'm still not 100% sure of the best way forward though. The local music shop wants to sell me a Saffire 6 USB device. However, I'm not 100% confident that they were giving me the best advice and at £165 it would be too much hassle to get wrong.

This is a Lenovo T61 laptop and it would have been ideal for this task. However it sounds like you are telling me that it is not viable as it stands. I do have access to another PC and a box full of components including sound cards. So I may be able to knock up a viable option there.

Another option is to record the visuals on the PC and the audio on the Mac and stitch the two together. However in my experience that is considerably more work.

Do you have any suggestions?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
The local music shop wants to sell me a Saffire 6 USB device.
As long as you are not going to be using Pro Tools, the Saffire 6 should work. IT is capable of being used as the default windows sound card for both playback and recording. (this would probably be the easiest method, even if a bit expensive)

Quote:
Do you have any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
There are ways that it can be done, but they all involve using a different sound card (like the built in one) as the final input for Camtasia, and physically routing the output from the DigiAvid hardware with cables.
Get a 1/8" to 1/4" TRS Y cable, hook the TRS ends to the Mbox 2 outputs, hook the other end to the input of the T61, set windows to use the T61 soundcard.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:37 AM

Hi spkguitar,

Thanks for the great help. I will try the cable option first (I have one in a box) and if not good enough I will get the Saffire 6.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:04 AM

Spkguitar

I'd like to thank you for the prompt and accurate help yesterday.

I tried the cable option and that worked well enough for me to build the demo. In fact I made it last night and I am certain it is of a good enough quality to satisfy the needs of this particular customer.

I appreciate that there is now an analogue step in the process and that I could gain an extra couple of percent quality and control by adding some different digital hardware. I would like to get that extra quality but I know that is partly my ego wanting to create the best.

The fact is that this was a one off job and spending more money on it would have been good fun but not good business sense (when did I ever have business sense?)

If this customer decides to commission more work of this kind I will invest in a Saffire 6 specifically to do this one task. But until then you have helped me understand the causes of the problem and offered some solutions. In the process you saved me a whole lot of time and hassle.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2010, 02:30 PM

Another option would have been to install Reaper and record into that and then either edit in Reaper or import the wave file into Pro Tools for editing. Reaper is ASIO complaint.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction