Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-31-2019, 05:27 AM

Default Pro Tools plays back old audio while recording

Hey there.

I’m working at a postproduction house with Pro Tools HDX 12.7.1 and a digital console. Pro Tools is only used for editing, playback and record.

20 people are working at this studio, but only me has the following problem:

When I record my mix, I hear the Pro Tools output in control room. Everything is fine. But when I do a passage again and there is already audio on the Mix-Track, Pro Tools plays back the audio on this track, but not the new audio that is recording. When I play the passage again, I hear that the new recording is fine.

Is there any setting I did wrong?

Photos of every setting-page I found are there (unfortunately in German): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tl2iep714...9kRBQIGHa?dl=0

Maybe you could help me.

Thanks a lot,
Philipp
Old 01-31-2019, 05:38 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools plays back old audio while recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cologne View Post
Hey there.

I’m working at a postproduction house with Pro Tools HDX 12.7.1 and a digital console. Pro Tools is only used for editing, playback and record.

20 people are working at this studio, but only me has the following problem:

When I record my mix, I hear the Pro Tools output in control room. Everything is fine. But when I do a passage again and there is already audio on the Mix-Track, Pro Tools plays back the audio on this track, but not the new audio that is recording. When I play the passage again, I hear that the new recording is fine.

Is there any setting I did wrong?

Photos of every setting-page I found are there (unfortunately in German): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tl2iep714...9kRBQIGHa?dl=0

Maybe you could help me.

Thanks a lot,
Philipp

Hi,

Whilst recording onto the same track that already has audio, you have 2 choices, you can either listen to/monitor the audio on the track or the new audio coming into the track.

to listen to the audio on the track whilst recording new audio just press the record button. you will hear whats on the track until you press record on the transport, then you will hear the new incoming audio.

to listen to the new audio whilst recording onto the track you need to press the I button (Next to the record button on the channel) this will monitor the incoming signal all the time. (You won't hear anything thats been recorded previously)

If you want to hear both then you'll need to move the recorded stuff onto a new track so you hear that track and the new recorded stuff going to the record track

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:12 AM

I was just going to suggest putting the MIX track in INPUT mode but Chris is faster

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-31-2019, 06:42 AM

Hi,

maybe I wrote it the wrong way, but:

I record my mix, everything is fine. Then I go back, hit the play-button, I hear the audio on the track, then I punch in record but I still hear the old audio on the track. And in the waveform I see my new mix.

It works with Input Mode, but on every other Pro Tools rig it works with only track arming like Chris wrote.

So I think something must be wrong

Philipp
Old 01-31-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cologne View Post
Hi,

maybe I wrote it the wrong way, but:

I record my mix, everything is fine. Then I go back, hit the play-button, I hear the audio on the track, then I punch in record but I still hear the old audio on the track. And in the waveform I see my new mix.

It works with Input Mode, but on every other Pro Tools rig it works with only track arming like Chris wrote.

So I think something must be wrong

Philipp

Hi,

Sounds like you are in monitor mode the I (input monitor) button must be selected on the channel

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:24 AM

Hi Chris,

I'm definitely not in Input Monitor Mode. When I would be in Input Monitor Mode I would hear everything I do on the console.

I want to hear the old audio in playback and when I punch in record, I want to hear what I'm recording. But the problem is: I hear the old audio and when I punch in record it still plays back and doesn't switch to the new audio that's coming in.

In any other studio I work this works exactly as I described. Only on this Pro Tools rig I have those problems.

Philipp
Old 01-31-2019, 09:26 AM

Have a look at page 422 of the PT Reference Manual. HD, unless a track is in Input Only Monitoring Mode, that track is always in Auto Input Mode, so that doesn't seem to be the issue. Maybe something in the console's routing?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-31-2019, 10:44 AM

@ The Weed
I checked this, the tracks are in Auto Input Mode.

I don't think this is a routing problem in the console.
The console output is routed to Input MADI 1/2 of the Avid MADI Interface. I choose this for input on the Pro Tools track. The output of the Pro Tools track is routed to Output MADI 1/2.
When I punch in record I can hear and measure that the old audio is played back. Then I can rewind and hear in playback the new audio I've mixed.

Seems to be the right routing...

Philipp