Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 01-03-2019, 01:57 PM

Default The program won't open

I already downloaded and installed it, but when I try to open it the starting screen pops up for around 2 seconds before closing as if it was crashing.

Any idea about what could be happening?

I use Windows 7, that might have something to do with it. My computer has a Pentium processor and it's around 5 years old, so it might be a bit outdated.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:20 AM

Default Re: The program won't open

Your system may be a little old to be running Pro Tools First, but there may be some things to look at first to at least get it running.

What type of audio interface are you using? Pro Tools First requires that you have an ASIO compatible interface. Most onboard sound devices in computers do not have an ASIO driver, so PT will not run.

I really don't like to suggest using ASIO4ALL, but if you are using an onboard audio device and just want to see what PT is all about, you can download and install ASIO4ALL, which will let you use your Windows sound device as an ASIO interface.

How much memory do you have installed? If you are on the low side (4GB) then make sure there are no other apps running in the background. Closing any unneeded apps will free up some memory for PT.

How much free disk space do you have and how fast is the drive? SSD drives would give you the best performance, but even older HDDs should be 7200 RPM.

Start with the audio interface. If that doesn't work, post a little more info about your setup if you are still having problems and I'm sure we can get you running.

And here is a link to the System Requirements for PTF for reference.

System Details