How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2018, 07:47 AM

Default Bussing and Latency

Hi,

Did a search. Came close, but did not find this exact problem.

Here's a chain:

Vox (audio) sent to three auxes (Sat, Verb, and Vox Master)
Sat is sent to verb and vox master.
Verb is sent to Vox master.

And here's the problem:

Just having the buss on the Sat track that sends sat to Verb creates latency (audible doubling) EVEN WHEN THE TRACK IS MUTED. Remove that send from that track and the latency goes away.

I set I/O to default. No change. Note that I am NOT bussing to a record enabled audio track. I did see some threads and videos about that issue. This is a little different.

I do have several workarounds for this, but what is going on here?

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2018, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Bussing and Latency

I think you have time alignment problems with the reverb being on too many sends folding back or something. I would suggest doing separate reverb aux's for each vox and sat and see if that cures it . I am not if front of my system to test so maybe someone else has a better solve?
Old 05-04-2018, 01:08 PM

Pretty sure this is a known issue that has yet to be fixed. Best bet is to not route a bus thru a second bus(until it really gets fixed). Everyone has their own favorite workflow, but sometimes PT just doesn't cooperate If the Vox Master has plugins, that's going to require a new thought process. If its just to have a single fader controlling several, maybe use a VCA fader(and remember that AUX tracks that are fed by post-fade sends, do not need to be ridden by the VCA as their input level will follow)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-04-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
I think you have time alignment problems with the reverb being on too many sends folding back or something. I would suggest doing separate reverb aux's for each vox and sat and see if that cures it . I am not if front of my system to test so maybe someone else has a better solve?
Thanks.

I failed to mention that this happens when there are no plug ins at all on any of the channels. They are not bypassed, either. There are none. This is just the routing.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Pretty sure this is a known issue that has yet to be fixed. Best bet is to not route a bus thru a second bus(until it really gets fixed). Everyone has their own favorite workflow, but sometimes PT just doesn't cooperate If the Vox Master has plugins, that's going to require a new thought process. If its just to have a single fader controlling several, maybe use a VCA fader(and remember that AUX tracks that are fed by post-fade sends, do not need to be ridden by the VCA as their input level will follow)
Thank you.

It seems that this workflow would be common and that Pro Tools would make sure that it's possible to do. I've never used VCA faders before. I have other workarounds, but I also like that one.

If anyone else has any ideas about how/why this is happening, I'd love to hear it.