Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 07-22-2014, 11:34 AM

Default Which motherboard shoud i buy with the PROTOOLS HD 2 ACCEL PCI-E card on Window 7

Hi Guys

I would like to buy a pc. Running Protools hd 8 with the hd 2 accel pci-e card.
Which motherboard should i buy?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2014, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Which motherboard shoud i buy with the PROTOOLS HD 2 ACCEL PCI-E card on Window 7

Some depends on whether you already have other parts. IOW, while I recommend a socket 2011 mobo, it won't help if you have a socket 1150 cpu. My personal pref these days would be a socket 2011 Gigabyte mobo (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128562)
with an intel i7 6 core(3930K) and 16(or 32)GB of quad-channel RAM(4 matching sticks). Having said that, you need to see what slots are available on any mobo you are considering, and how far apart they are.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-22-2014, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Which motherboard shoud i buy with the PROTOOLS HD 2 ACCEL PCI-E card on Window 7

Thank you for your suggestion !
I hv check the mobo that you suggested. Is it possible to install the Core Card into a x8 slot and Accel Card into a x1 slot?
Old 07-23-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiluncl View Post
Thank you for your suggestion !
I hv check the mobo that you suggested. Is it possible to install the Core Card into a x8 slot and Accel Card into a x1 slot?
why wouldn't you just use a full bandwidth slot? unless they are taken up already with another card?

My opionion on the GA-X79-UD5 is not so good right now......I keep having issues with my BIOS getting corrupted. It's on the blink right now (again).

I run a hackintosh but I don't think that has anything to do with it....because on a basic level it's all just BIOS at that level.

Gigabyte does have a 3 year warranty on this board........
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
why wouldn't you just use a full bandwidth slot? unless they are taken up already with another card?

My opionion on the GA-X79-UD5 is not so good right now......I keep having issues with my BIOS getting corrupted. It's on the blink right now (again).

I run a hackintosh but I don't think that has anything to do with it....because on a basic level it's all just BIOS at that level.

Gigabyte does have a 3 year warranty on this board........
That's interesting^^. Asus has some solid socket 2011 mobos, so check them as well. Re the different slots, FWIW, I did a bit of researched and posed questions about running cards with the short PCIe stem in full-length PCIe slots and was told that it works fine. As evidence of that, I have a graphics card with the short fin installed in a full-length slot and it works fine. Also been told by some Avid experts that the HDN card will work as well(I only have a full-length slot available and just ordered an HDN package).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 07-24-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I only have a full-length slot available and just ordered an HDN package
Nice I wanted to get one as well (for the lack of latency) but I am working on building a room first......
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:43 AM

Hi guys

I tried to install the cards in my old pc Asus z77 sabertooth board.I installed the cord card into x16 slot and accel card in x1 slot. Luckily, no beep sound when i turn on the computer. When window 7 started, hardware is detected and start to find the driver automatically. Everything seems ok with this mobo. But i need to test the cards in the studio because my 192 i/o is in the studio.

Thanks everyone!