Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2010, 01:00 PM

Default Remotely editing online???

A client of mine who's based in NYC wants me to do some editing in ProTools remotely in LA, but needs to monitor at least the audio, possibly the display as well. Streaming the display is moderately easy with screen sharing, but what's the best way (most reliable, lowest latency and highest quality) way to achieve this scenario? We both have HD3 rigs and a fast internet connection. We'll also need a way to speak to one another, but I could always just run iChat on laptops (separate from the protools rigs). Any and all suggestions, regardless of cost, would be highly appreciated!

C.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Remotely editing online???

I don't know of a lot of options. One that 'should' be able to achieve what you want is Source Connect:

http://sourceelements.com/source-connect/

I say 'should' because I've never had much luck with it. I've tried the demo with a few friends, and it's never really worked reliably enough for me to buy.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:45 PM

I've used source connect before a few times and it seems to work well for what it does. I'm not sure it would be enough for your needs, and requires some mucking around with your router, but it seems to work well.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:52 PM

I've found skype to sound better in general than iChat, but better sounding than either is Nicecast. The latency is higher, but you can select the quality of the feed, and you get stereo. They just listen in iTunes. Actually, depending on their setup, using both works well. Skype for a quick reference, then Nicecast for final decisions. There can be up to a 7ish second delay on Nicecast depending on your bandwidth.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:31 PM

A 7 second delay might be annoying. Obviously what I'm trying to replicate is making it seem like we're both in the same room together. EG: the producer can tell me "lets hear take 6"... I play take 6..."use the front half of take 6 and the back half of take 2"... producer watches me cut it together and then listens to the edit and either approves or tweaks further. I definitely need good quality audio, but the workflow is very important too and the delay might be a little too much to bear... especially if we're communicating over the phone. I;ll check out source connect.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

What if I was using screen-sharing to control his HD rig and have him broadcast the output back to me... anyone had any luck with that?

C.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:52 PM

I have not tried it with audio but . . .

https://secure.logmein.com/US/produc.../features.aspx

One of the features:
Remote to local audio. Experience your remote computer as if you were right in front of it. You can hear music, email alerts and other sounds on your remote computer through your local speakers.*

who knows what the latency is . . .
Old 09-22-2010, 06:01 AM

Source connect works blindingly well - I have done sessions with bi directional stereo between here and LA accurate to 8 samples. Yes it takes a modicum of setting up, but the team are VERY helpful and if you can use a mac and PT then you are savvy enough!

IF you want to do it on the cheap, screen share for visuals, and use source live - another product from the same company. You transmit your sound, and your producer listens to a quicktime feed. The quality is outstanding. The latency is about 2-3 seconds, which should be enough for a "listen to this" scenario ......
You can Ichat or phone for coms...

I play lots of short form post material to producers this way for approval - and they love it - making me popular!

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 09-22-2010, 07:16 AM

would an app i've used called "Teamviewer" be helpful?

Old 09-22-2010, 07:26 AM

Source-Connect Pro and Standard both offer Remote Transport Sync which allows you to control a remote Pro Tools session while playing in perfect synchronization. Both Pro and Standard plug-ins provide a button panel which you can use to control the session.

http://www.sourceelements.com/support/rts/
Old 09-22-2010, 07:26 AM

Skype has consistently worked well for me in a scenario where I am overdubbing a part on the east coast and the producer is "anywhere". He is able to see me and hear what I am doing. there are little glitches here and there, but overall it works quite well and is free...
He cannot see my screen in detail, but has the session open on his laptop and is able to guide me very well through songs using markers etc... bottom line is that he can produce the part, and hear the finished result in virtual real time.
Saves me a lot of travel time, and saves him airfares, hotel, etc.... SB