Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2002, 01:44 PM

Default Re: hits mixed "In The Box"?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hardnox:
Robotnik,

According to digi rep at the last demo...you can add Creed to that list. I think their 1st album was all PT.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just when you thought the list couldn't get any worse! Creed!!! That tells you a lot. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2002, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sdevino:
Robotnik,
I appreciate your humor but Toto has been a mix benchmark for many years. You may not like their music but you can't argue with their sound.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A benchmark? Of what? For listening at the dentist's office? Easy listening sappy mush. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2002, 08:24 PM

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2002, 09:05 PM

i'll have to admit, no really impressive acts/recordings have yet to be mentioned. big selling acts, sure. though, they aren't foremost selling because of the caliber of the recording or music. what about some artists with integrity. Creed?!? [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Radiohead uses PT, but not to mix.
Massive Attack used PT, can't remember if for mixing.
Portishead?
come on! how about some examples that may provide inspiration for those who have no choice aside from going to a costly studio for the mix-down.
i think it's possible with the right mics and outboard gear going in. (and of course skills and experience.) i'd like to read about others who do this. (others who do it well, and of interesting music that doesn't suck.)
Old 06-10-2002, 06:56 AM

Wo its really too bad people can't separate their taste for the music from recognition of mix quality. While you may not like most of the bands sited so far it is actually possible that some of the mixes could be great despite the bubblegum nature of the source material. The studio musicians who play on these track are still pretty damn good.

My studio is doing all mixes 100% in the box. The alt/metal/whatever bands love it. I don't think our HD mixes are hurting for detail, balls or volume.

http://www.graniterocks.com/Files/Blist0222.mps

Some of you guys will become better mixers if you will learn to listen for technical quality even where you may not like the material. Would you call Les Paul a woos just because he did session work for Bing Crosby (famous dentist office musician). I am not a Toto fan either but their mixes and arrangements were outstanding.
1-603-867-6843
Old 06-10-2002, 06:58 AM

Sorry the link is:
http://www.graniterocks.com/Files/Blist0222.mp3
1-603-867-6843
Old 06-10-2002, 09:26 AM

I'm glad this topic has aroused some interest. I have yet to find any releases mixed in ProTools that capture the
sonics I enjoy within the musical style/genre I'm looking. Though, I admit, I haven't checked out the Toto, Neil
Schon, Steve Vai cd's yet. While they probably do contain a rhythm section, historically I don't enjoy any of their
music.

Quote:
If its modern rock, than you aren't likely to find many, because most of the top records are mixed by the same 5-6
guys:Andy Wallace,JJP,TLA and CLA, Brendan Obrien. All of these guys mix on SSL's.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">These are the guys I keep coming back to for reference, though I know they don't mix in ProTools. I'm hoping to
find new benchmark/references that sound that good within that style, that were mix in ProTools. I believe it can
be done (or at least I want to believe). I hope I'm not just fooling myself with this belief only to justify my own
ProTools purchase. I mostly mix in ProTools and while I love the platform and the process, I'm not in love with
my results. Mixing SSL with Distressors/LA2A/1176/Quad Bus compressor/1/2" tape seems to get me closer. I
haven't yet had the opportunity to mix the same song both ways, so I'm kind of making an unfair comparison.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:43 AM

just to ad to this thread, i mix now only in protools. i was a total neve/ssl mixer having mixed for many high profile clients and label's for the past 15 years i can say, that without a doubt protools can give you more punch!
it's all about the person behind the mix!

rick
Old 06-10-2002, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sdevino:
Wo its really too bad people can't separate their taste for the music from recognition of mix quality. While you may not like most of the bands sited so far it is actually possible that some of the mixes could be great despite the bubblegum nature of the source material. The studio musicians who play on these track are still pretty damn good.

My studio is doing all mixes 100% in the box. The alt/metal/whatever bands love it. I don't think our HD mixes are hurting for detail, balls or volume.

http://www.graniterocks.com/Files/Blist0222.mps

Some of you guys will become better mixers if you will learn to listen for technical quality even where you may not like the material. Would you call Les Paul a woos just because he did session work for Bing Crosby (famous dentist office musician). I am not a Toto fan either but their mixes and arrangements were outstanding.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Have a listen to the latest release by Fu Manchu. My good friend Matt recorded them...all on 2" analog....transferred to Pro Tools for editing and then multi outs to a SSL 9k. Compare these mixes to yours.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tom_mac:
Garbage ??
a perfect circle !!!!
NIN??
Incubus !!
KORN??-(new one)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I know for a fact that Rave mixed the NIN tracks on an SSL 9k.

Perfect Circle was mixed in Pro Tools. But, it was a side project and their budget wasn't too big.

Garbage, Incubus and KORN don't mix in Pro Tools.