Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 05-14-2013, 07:26 PM

Default Does HD native or native native disable plugins when monitoring inputs?

Hey guys and gals. Trying to establish the direction in which to head.

When you have RTAS plugins on a channel in HD TDM, as soon as you hit the input monitoring button those plugins are bypassed and unusable.

Is this the case with Protools HD Native, or plain vanilla protools native do this still? I am aware of the LLM feature... is it the only way to monitor through plugins on a channel (IE: Eleven sim)?
Old 05-14-2013, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Does HD native or native native disable plugins when monitoring inputs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketCase View Post
Hey guys and gals. Trying to establish the direction in which to head.

When you have RTAS plugins on a channel in HD TDM, as soon as you hit the input monitoring button those plugins are bypassed and unusable.

Is this the case with Protools HD Native, or plain vanilla protools native do this still? I am aware of the LLM feature... is it the only way to monitor through plugins on a channel (IE: Eleven sim)?
LLM mode disables native plugins in all Pro Tools versions. The question is what latency are you after. e.g. HD Native has lower latentcy without LLM than some (non-HD) native systems. This type of thing (LLM and latency with HD Native) has been discussed to death on DUC, you should search for those past threads.

Darryl
Old 05-14-2013, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Does HD native or native native disable plugins when monitoring inputs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
LLM mode disables native plugins in all Pro Tools versions. The question is what latency are you after. e.g. HD Native has lower latentcy without LLM than some (non-HD) native systems. This type of thing (LLM and latency with HD Native) has been discussed to death on DUC, you should search for those past threads.

Darryl
Hey Darryl!

Thanks for the clarification. I've read a lot of threads about LLM, latency and native. I just don't want to trap myself in a corner by potentially going with other native solutions like an RME AES card with my 16x series. Question answered though. Monitoring through plugins is a go for both versions of native.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketCase View Post
Hey Darryl!

Thanks for the clarification. I've read a lot of threads about LLM, latency and native. I just don't want to trap myself in a corner by potentially going with other native solutions like an RME AES card with my 16x series. Question answered though. Monitoring through plugins is a go for both versions of native.
Yes, unless you decide you need LLM to lower the latency. Which is more likely on some native-native interfaces. So exactly what you are after and how critical low latency you/your talent needs is an open question.

Darryl
Old 05-15-2013, 04:52 AM

I often play my guitar thru my HDNative rig with Input monitoring. It works a treat.
LLM will disable the plugin as expected.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:11 PM

Go TDM, it's cheap now and never worry about it again. Give HDN and HDX a couple more years to work itself out.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 05-20-2013, 08:16 AM

It depends on your computers power, and how many plugins and tracks are in the session etc. You can track at low buffer settings and have effects on the channel you are recording. For guitar and other instruments a buffer of 64 or 128 will most likely be fine and you will be able to keep the plugins on and not use low latency monitoring. But if you have a large session with all kinds of processing going on you may need to up your buffer to keep your session stable then when going to do an overdub switch to low latency monitoring to do it to keep the system without erroring during the recording. It's definitely a balancing act. I am very happy with my native system, but I do not track bands etc, mainly mixing and tend to record one track at a time. If you are always tracking bands etc I would go HDX. We will see how this improves on a Native system with pro tools 11 as they have made some changes as to how low buffers are used. instead of all the tracks switching to low buffer settings only the track you record on will be at the low buffer and this should really make a difference for native systems and recording.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10
Mac Pro 2009 upgraded to 5,1 12 core 3.46ghz
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Midas M32r console. iPad Pro with Avid Control
Old 05-20-2013, 08:48 AM

I am curious too...
I have 16 inputs with different analog synthesizers going straight into the Pro Tools mixer using AUX inputs and as I am on TDM it works great. Will there be a difference if I downgrade to the Native card or is it really possible to run projects on 32 samples latency and don´t mess with the latency from day one to final mix ?
A project is maybe 100 tracks 44.1 / 24 bit.