Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-1999, 08:10 AM

Default IMAC as removable drive back up station?

Could I use an Imac running Mezzo or Retrospect with a DATA DAT and 2 x Hotswap drive bays attached as a "back up station"?

Could I use an inexpencive baby, "admin/internet/office Mac" as a secondary back up unit to free up the main system from this time consuming task?

Thanks in advance

Jules
Old 10-31-1999, 10:50 AM

Default Re: IMAC as removable drive back up station?

sounds like a great idea, but...it reminds me of when i tried to use my powerbook G3 250 as a back-up station. Retrospect kept crashing, and i later read something about an incompatibility. i didn't pay too much attention, i just stopped trying, so i don't remember the details. probably not an issue with the imac, though. just a thought...

www.tompaul.com
Old 11-01-1999, 02:27 PM

Default Re: IMAC as removable drive back up station?

Jules

You're on a hiding to nowt with this one me old stroller!...
The stumbling block is SCSI.......
The only way to deal with SCSI on an iMac is via a USB/SCSI converter (Firewire anyone??!!). I think that this would be a major PITA.
In short...it's not worth buying an iMac specifically to try this...but if you've got one kicking around.........

A better solution would maybe buy an older PCI based Mac for peanuts, stick an Adaptec 2940 SCSI accelerator card in it, strap on your fast/wide Cheetahs, bung your DDS-3 drive on the Mac SCSI, and Retrospect all night long.........whilst you're schmoozing the clients in the most-happening-place-in-town, watching the late-night telly, or simply getting your leg over.......

Venceramos, compadre

Ademundo Cookamente