Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-19-2014, 01:46 PM

Default Optical Output issues with 003 Rack

Hi all, I run PT 10.3.8 from my MacBook Pro, I use a Belkin Thunderbolt hub to connect, among other things, my FW cable, since there's no FW port on my device. I have a Black Lion Audio modded 003 Rack. I also have an Aphex 141 converter giving me 8 more channels of I/O via the optical output on the 003.

I have been running this set up happily for about a year. I recently (2 weeks?) upgraded PT to 10.3.8 from 10.3.6. All seemed fine. Have been working daily since then. Today, I had a couple of odd error messages (I should have written down the exact texts, sorry) and then, later, the channels associated with the optical I/O were not showing up in the I/O options/setup. "Default" setting doesn't get them to appear. I've restarted, checked cable connections, installed the latest 003 driver. In Hardware set up, The Optical format is selected as "ADAT". I/O set up gives me currently 10 channels, but, channels 9-10 are actually coming out analog outputs 1-2, along with the normal output of channels 1-2, I discovered.

I seem to recall that under normal conditions, you could actually see light coming out of the Optical port, a reddish glow. That is definitely not the case at present.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Optical Output issues with 003 Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSwiz View Post
Hi all, I run PT 10.3.8 from my MacBook Pro, I use a Belkin Thunderbolt hub to connect, among other things, my FW cable, since there's no FW port on my device. I have a Black Lion Audio modded 003 Rack. I also have an Aphex 141 converter giving me 8 more channels of I/O via the optical output on the 003.

I have been running this set up happily for about a year. I recently (2 weeks?) upgraded PT to 10.3.8 from 10.3.6. All seemed fine. Have been working daily since then. Today, I had a couple of odd error messages (I should have written down the exact texts, sorry) and then, later, the channels associated with the optical I/O were not showing up in the I/O options/setup. "Default" setting doesn't get them to appear. I've restarted, checked cable connections, installed the latest 003 driver. In Hardware set up, The Optical format is selected as "ADAT". I/O set up gives me currently 10 channels, but, channels 9-10 are actually coming out analog outputs 1-2, along with the normal output of channels 1-2, I discovered.

I seem to recall that under normal conditions, you could actually see light coming out of the Optical port, a reddish glow. That is definitely not the case at present.
Hi,

Yeh the adat out should have a red light glowing if it working as an adat pipeline connection.

Now I don't know the 003 but is there possibly a setting in the hardware setup page to switch the adat port to operate as SP/Dif? Sp/Dif being only a stereo protocol won't show the red glow that adat pipeline has.

If the unit is plugged in as a stand alone unit (not connected to the computer) does the adat out glow?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:43 AM

crizdee, thanks for that reply. It was pretty late last night and my brain was not ready after a long day of mixing to do the obvious: trash prefs. It's one thing I failed to do, and I seem to be up and running today, having woken up with a literal one-handed forehead slap and accompanying "D'oh!". I feel somewhat ashamed to have wasted everyone's time here....let's hope I'm not back soon, tho....as that would imply a *real* problem...have a wonderful, glitch-free day, everyone.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:06 AM

Quote:
crizdee, thanks for that reply. It was pretty late last night and my brain was not ready after a long day of mixing to do the obvious: trash prefs. It's one thing I failed to do, and I seem to be up and running today, having woken up with a literal one-handed forehead slap and accompanying "D'oh!". I feel somewhat ashamed to have wasted everyone's time here....let's hope I'm not back soon, tho....as that would imply a *real* problem...have a wonderful, glitch-free day, everyone.
we've all been there!!

chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:01 AM

This is interesting, just to note...I opened the same session where my problems first arose, with the Optical output, and had the same issue again. Nothing I could do to resolve that issue while that session was open; I could trash the prefs, and open that session, and the issue would reappear.

Other sessions, after I quit, trashed prefs, and restarted, were fine.

This particular session is the first time people sent me files that were 32 bit, 96khz. It wasn't a big session, either -- they sent me 5 tracks. I opened the session and did some overdubs, say, 4 tracks, and started to build a mix with some Aux Sends for effects, say, 3-4 of those. So we have now, a dozen or so tracks, and then it started to have the issue (I can't say exactly when, but...) I am wondering if perhaps, the brain of the 003 cannot face 32 bit 96khz sessions. I have done 24 bit 96khz sessions, no problem. Interestingly enough, when the immutable, no optical out, only ten outputs (knowing, again, that 9-10 is mapped, immutably, to analog output 1-2 in this odd case) conditions are imposed by ProTools, I am given a new option in the Hardware buffer size: 2048 samples; usually the maximum is 1024. Have you encountered similar issues? Do you think my theory has some weight?
Old 03-23-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
This is interesting, just to note...I opened the same session where my problems first arose, with the Optical output, and had the same issue again. Nothing I could do to resolve that issue while that session was open; I could trash the prefs, and open that session, and the issue would reappear.

Other sessions, after I quit, trashed prefs, and restarted, were fine.

This particular session is the first time people sent me files that were 32 bit, 96khz. It wasn't a big session, either -- they sent me 5 tracks. I opened the session and did some overdubs, say, 4 tracks, and started to build a mix with some Aux Sends for effects, say, 3-4 of those. So we have now, a dozen or so tracks, and then it started to have the issue (I can't say exactly when, but...) I am wondering if perhaps, the brain of the 003 cannot face 32 bit 96khz sessions. I have done 24 bit 96khz sessions, no problem. Interestingly enough, when the immutable, no optical out, only ten outputs (knowing, again, that 9-10 is mapped, immutably, to analog output 1-2 in this odd case) conditions are imposed by ProTools, I am given a new option in the Hardware buffer size: 2048 samples; usually the maximum is 1024. Have you encountered similar issues? Do you think my theory has some weight?
The 003 can handle a 96K session fine, but the optical IO cannot work above 48K(maybe that's the issue)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-23-2019, 08:52 PM

This is a 5yo thread from 2014 so if the gut who started posting in it again need help I suggest start a new thread!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————