Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 12-20-2013, 10:20 PM

Default Strike 2.0 recorder - "full" vs "GM"

So I get that GM is general MIDI. And it works when I use Strike's recorder set to GM, then play a bit, then drag the MIDI to a track (going to Strike channel 2).

But "full" mode doesn't translate. I can create a MIDI file as per usual, but the notes simply do not correspond with anything logical, no matter what channel I set it to.

I checked the manual, no joy. It just says Full mode "makes maximum use of Strike", but I fail to see how gibberish notes are of any use. Can anyone chime in here? There's got to be something very simple that I am missing.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Strike 2.0 recorder - "full" vs "GM" [solved]

okay, D'oh. Failed to do my due diligence. The magic information was in the manual, but not in the body of it... It was in an appendix on page 60.

Turns out that Full (apparently) allows all variations of each drum, and any MIDI using this mapping must be sent to channel 15.

Geez, the manual is in pretty rough shape. One should not have to look through appendices to find critical information such as this.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Strike 2.0 recorder - "full" vs "GM" [solved]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
okay, D'oh. Failed to do my due diligence. The magic information was in the manual, but not in the body of it... It was in an appendix on page 60.

Turns out that Full (apparently) allows all variations of each drum, and any MIDI using this mapping must be sent to channel 15.

Geez, the manual is in pretty rough shape. One should not have to look through appendices to find critical information such as this.
One of my long standing complaints with Pro Tools, AIR and several other developers is their manuals. I agree totally that it is just too difficult to find the thing you need to know, even if it IS in the manual. If you don't use the exact right word or phrase in searching you won't find it. Often, you can't even find it in the index. It frosts me to have a control that has a name on it and you go to look up how to use that control in the index using the actual name, and it is NOT in there. That makes no sense to me, either! Every control found on a plug in or in the software should be indexed for easy reference in the manual!