Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 09:24 PM

Default Do I really need URS?

URS N and or URS A.
Do they really give you "the sound"?

Here is what I have available now.

Waves Renn EQ
Waves Q10 (hardly ever use)
d2
Sony Oxford
McDSP FilterBank
MDW
EQIII
Some others I just don't use.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Do I really need URS?

I don't think they'll give you the "sound"!! You have some fine plugins. Buy better rooms, instruments, mic's, pre's and outboard!

BR Tubz
Old 07-16-2005, 02:03 AM

Hi,

I love the urs stuff, can't say if they are true to the originals, but they are a nice compliment to my sony oxford/mdw/pulltec etc. my faves are the A, N, & N12 and lastly the stunning little BLT!? this only uses 3%chip and has a really nice warm tone, great for those final little tweeks when your mixes is almost final.

They score a massive plus in that they use plugin sharing and don't hog there own chips! plus they are very very economical with chip usage 3-6% most of them on accel!!

Check out there rental policy! it goes towards future purchase! others take note!!!! and they do demo periods. a company that have really got it together!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:59 AM

I can't resist chiming in on another URS thread. I love them. I think they are the best sounding digital eq out there. They sound very close to the real hardware. The api plugs in the set sound the best IMHO.

ed
Old 07-16-2005, 07:04 AM

The quality of the software is only exceeding by the support they give. I sent them an email yesterday regarding a problem with the N12 and Tiger, this morning they emailed me an update and have it posted on their page.

I must say that it was hard to shell out for software what a good HW EQ would cost but everytime I used the demo, they sounded the way I want and all my other EQs didn't. I gave in.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 07-17-2005, 12:22 AM

For me the simple answer is: yes. Since I have Sony and URS I hardly ever use any other EQ plugin. Why don't you try it for yourself and go to the section on Demo Versions at http://www.ursplugins.com/ to download demos. There is a very clear explanation about the requirements and I think you can use them for 10 days.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:04 AM

All I can say is that I have the Oxford EQs, Waves, Massenurg, McDsp, and Digi's, but then I got the S series and the N12 by URS....it's a whole new world. No doubt you might be able to do similar "musical" results with other brands, but if you're doing music for records, don't think twice- you need as many of these URSs as you can get your hands on. I wish I could explain in words the joy I've gotten from using these plugins.....really they are so stunning. I like to hear results fast, and have always been frustrated with how hard I have to work to get the sounds I want in ProTools, maybe I lack talent, or maybe I just needed someone to make a plugin that really seemed to care about music and the colors that help define a "great drum sound", or an "amazing guitar tone" and so on. I'll stop there.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:40 AM

If you are very familiar with setting up the Sony Oxford EQ (way beyond the basic factory settings) you can be VERY close to any URS.
I did some comparisons between the URS Neve demo and the type 3 setting of the oxford, and by choosing the appropriate frequency (by ear, not by numbers) and the Q factor (notably in shelf mode) I came so close I couldn't distinguish them.

But to me this is quite an achievement. This means that URS EQ sounds good without even thinking about it. I think it is more a question of how you like to work.
I am a "fiddler", I like flexible tools, that I bend to my whims, but I totally understand and respect the other method, which is choosing the tool precisely tailored for one task. To me URS EQ emulations are interesting (and very high quality) for this way of working.
On the other hand the URS mix eq seems quite something in the fiddling category... I haven't demoed it yet but will do soon!
Pro Tools Ultimate & Carbon
M2 Max Studio
Old 07-18-2005, 10:04 AM

My producing partner did a side by side comparsion with the Neve plug some time ago and a real 1073. The results were pretty amazing. While it will never be as good as the real one, he was surprised how close the plug came. Enough so that he bought the plug. The top end is almost identical, the low end is close, but the real one has a nice distortion when pushed hard in the lows that plug can't do. I bought the plugs as well and they are top on my list for most stuff. I probably use them most, followed by the Oxford and McDSP stuff. The nice thing about the URS is that it's fast and easy to get a good setting. There are less settings to deal with when you are dealing with fixed curves. You can get close with the McDSP's as well, but it takes more tweaking and work to get that sound.
Well worth the investment if you can't afford the real one.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:22 AM

I find with most digital EQ's I need to make larger cuts or boosts compared to analog gear before I hear the changes. The RenEQ sounds nice but is horrendous in this respect.

I love the URS plugs. A & N plugs are my favourites. Is it just me, or are they one of the few digital EQ's where you can actually hear a tiny (eg, 0.3-0.5db) adjustment?

I also agree about their support. Totally awesome. They actually seem to care about their users

HANSON'S RAZOR:
Never attribute to evil that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.