Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2014, 07:00 AM

Default Confused about HDX i/o

Hi guys, I tried to find this out first before asking here, but can't get the straight dope anywhere, so here's my question: How many simultaneous physical inputs and outputs can I achieve with a single HDX card? I have a feeling it's 32 ins and 32 simultaneous outs.

If so that's a bummer, as I'm thinking of finally upgrading to a Mac setup from my old PC running PT8 with HD3 PCIx cards and 3 x Lynx 16/16 converters which are currently providing 48 ins and 48 out simultaneously (which i need),

How do I work out what I'd be up for $$ wise? If I trade my HD3, (can I keep the 3 Lynx boxes?), buy a new Mac as well as the software and the HDX card, how much is that? - after the trade in? And if I'm still 16 ins and 16 outs short of what I need, what's the answer? Another HDX card? Is that too expensive, and overkill?

Oh, and what's the skinny these days with the plugin compatibility? All my TDM's and RTAS, VST's etc no good?

Sheesh, this is gonna cost me a fortune, just to get back to where I was (er, am...). Am I sure I wanna do this?