Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2009, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Cs3 is out!

Ok, I'm feeling kind of left out here. I read all this about pt8 and when I open it and hit play and pause, it works just fine. My computer is an accretion of parts that have been upgraded over the years with a core 2 duo e8400 cpu, 4 gig ram, and a mid-price motherboard.

Well, when I opened it up and hit play, no sound came out. I was excited, hoping I could join the ranks of the disaffected. But wait, my speakers were turned off. Still no sound--now we are on to something. But wait, the mixer was turned off too--must have tried to save electricity last night. Damn, now its working just fine.

I run internet on my pro tools computer including a virus scanner, e-mail and hundreds of gigs of all the other crap I have accumulated over the years. I never checked the compatibility list for anything, and the only thing I had to do to get 8 going was uninstall ie8 (which I admit is sloppy and unprofessional of a program to require that).

I have reaper and when I play around with it, I keep missing all the pro tools features that it does not have. Yes, that's right, the finest piece of software on earth which is reportedly within a hairsbreadth away from destroying pro tools and I am not entirely satisfied with its feature set--nor the very thin documentation. Dare I say that reaper is a good value for the money but has a long ways to go? A lot missing! What a luddite am I--I should be ashamed of myself.

Yeah, as a programmer, I hate code bload (I prefer assembly coding, but not much demand in the market), and pt sure seems like a pig with lots of legacy code they haven't bothered re-writing, and I am speculating they have a lengthy and bureaucratic way of coding and testing it, but given that its the premier daw tool at this moment in time with an unmatched track record of 'pro' industry output, it surely must work properly for somebody.

Agreed, avid has reason to worry about the commodotizing of daw software eating the ***** out of their le product market--as do instrument and plug in vendors, but time marches on and the race is not nearly over. I remember back in the day all the os2 advocates raving with red faces and sweat on their brows about the 'technical superiority' if functional deficiency of their favorite os. It was more pure, more lean, more elegant, more beautiful. But as I recall, there was never a point in time in human history when os2 was superior to windows. They may have came within 6 months of the lead, but they never caught up. Moral of the story: There is nothing new under the sun.

Hint: From my experience, the biggest code bloat hog software I have ever seen is windows vista/server 2008 (and maybe oracle database server). Yet they manage to get the job done--and linux/osx manage to get bigger all the time as well.

(I know folks here who have their skin in the game have legitimate beefs here, but I see a bit of lost perspective as well.)
Old 06-09-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
cs3 is working fine, they give you a complete list of fixes on the thread for it.
Yep...we know the accelerator isn't working, but hey....we fixed the brakes! So what's the problem?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:05 PM

I was not so lucky with it and have gone back to CS2. Check this out....

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=247782
Old 06-09-2009, 08:19 PM

Those that are having problems with CS3, did you trash prefs and databases after installing?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
cs3 is working fine, they give you a complete list of fixes on the thread for it.
Yep, http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=37952.

But that wasn't what I was asking... Reading the list it looks as if some needed repairs were made, but none of the larger issues that folks have been complaining about in here.

I wanted to know if the average everyday Joe noticed any improvement. Since the larger things were not mentioned, and after reading mixed but generally negative reviews about it I was curious.

I do realize that most folks that are operating normally with few or no issues probably never post here, (the squeaky wheel and all that), and with some of the things the MAC guys are dealing with now (mostly in HD) I'm hesitant to install it.

Were they to fix timing/midi/pause-play, etc.. I would be on it like white on rice.. but alas.. maybe 8.1?

(probably in December..) "Lookie here DUC'ers! Santa is bringin' batteries for the goodies he dropped off last year!"

(FWIW Disclaimer: For all of my whinging, I really like PTNative. I DO get really frustrated though with it at times.. most of my jibes are meant tounge in cheek....... but not all.)
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 06-09-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
Yep, http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=37952.

But that wasn't what I was asking... Reading the list it looks as if some needed repairs were made, but none of the larger issues that folks have been complaining about in here.

I wanted to know if the average everyday Joe noticed any improvement. Since the larger things were not mentioned, and after reading mixed but generally negative reviews about it I was curious.

I do realize that most folks that are operating normally with few or no issues probably never post here, (the squeaky wheel and all that), and with some of the things the MAC guys are dealing with now (mostly in HD) I'm hesitant to install it.

Were they to fix timing/midi/pause-play, etc.. I would be on it like white on rice.. but alas.. maybe 8.1?

(probably in December..) "Lookie here DUC'ers! Santa is bringin' batteries for the goodies he dropped off last year!"
we are typically always on a different level with the hd crowd. not very many problems do we seem to share in common, unless they are pretty darn major. they are dealing with the age of hd as well as the software and we are just dealing w the age of the software, so we are a bit up on em!

they are pretty good about labeling all the fixes in the cs updates. rarely do they sneak any in. has digi acnowleged they know about the play-pause issue your having????

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-09-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
has digi acnowleged they know about the play-pause issue your having????

Yep, and the midi/click thing too.. Aware of it, and working on it..

I'm in a bit of a flippant mood today.. lack of sleep and the flu AND having to work.. maybe I just need some oxygen.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 06-10-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Exactly, and we here at this studio, have never purchased a major upgrade of Pro Tools without expecting to build a complete new proven system with the maximum proven power available at the time. The tweaks are part of the job, we just accept this. We never expect to run other software on the same system, if we get away with something we feel lucky. We never allow a Pro Tools computer on line EVER. To spend a couple of thousand dollars each year on keeping PT up to snuff is in the budget, and having come out of the analog world, this is nothing. We earn it back in a blink, and consider it a very reasonable piece of the cost of doing business. And for us, Pro Tools works fine. (So far.)

All that being said, what about the guy who wants to sit at home and make music on a shared computer and has no client base to pay for all of this? These are the people that seem to be feeling “left behind”. These are the people that Digi is in danger of losing forever. If and when this loss occurs, a lion’s share of revenue will be lost. That loss will inevitably affect the bottom line. That affected bottom line will inevitably affect the ability to keep the professional side of the client base properly served. Ultimately, all could be lost.
It seems to me, for this reason, it is very important to get in line with the “bedroom studio” customer base or none of us will have this “industry standard” software we have come to depend on so much. In recent times, I am constantly on this forum (as are many) trying to help these troubled new guys stay with Pro Tools.

With the future of HD being what it seems to be, Digi needs the little guy. This software needs to become easy for him or all of us will be forced to move on to recording without a standard.

I know all of this has been said before, and I'm sure Digi is aware... Just my turn to rant.

I like Pro Tools and I for one, would like to see it stay around.
Tom, I am that home user and it is driving me insane. I have no money paying clients, I am the client. And frankly, as good as my ears are, I would be embarrassed to charge someone for the wasted time I spend in PT.
I realize that I am making a huge leap in metaphors, but if I bought a $3000 guitar that only worked with and approved amp, pedals, and cords, and i purchaced all those and set all their knobs to the proscribed settings, only to find that the neck p/u only worked with a user designed bailing wire and spitball gizmo, while the manufacturer moved on to a new pickguard, I WOULD BE AS PISSED AS I AM NOW! ATTENTION DIGIDESIGN ! I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON YOUR PRODUCT AND IT HAS WAY TOO MANY ISSUES! Thank you, rant over.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:42 AM

So I guess I should not do the cs3 update.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:47 AM

cs3 is working perfect here. i think its the first cs update that hasnt caused me problems. although i really shouldnt be saying that out loud

it is pretty bad when we dread installing updates instead of jumping for joy when we see them!