How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2014, 05:11 PM

Default Pro Tools "Ctrl" button not working

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie in Pro Tools 11, I'm using it on Windows 8. I found that it is not registering the hotkeys involving the ctrl key (e.g. new session "ctrl + n" and new track "ctrl + shift + n"). What seems funny to me is that by pressing z only or shift + z without ctrl, I am able to undo and redo. But then pressing the number keys (cycling between zoom levels) do act normally, while pressing ctr + number keys also act normally by cycling through the tools.

Furthermore, the hotkey combination works when the menu was already clicked open (i.e. "ctrl + n" works when I have already click opened the "file" drop down menu)

I'm just so confused, thanks in advance for any help!
Old 10-13-2014, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools "Ctrl" button not working

Helo chocobo and welcome to the forum.

you have one of the Keyboard focus on. Beside the edit window, the clip list and the Edit groups list there's a small A/Z box. By the track page (where you see the waveforms) in the edit window you will have a small A/Z box that is lit, take it out and you will take out the commands Keyboard focus which allows you to do editing shortcuts without using the modifiers keys.

For more information, turn to your Pro tools reference guide that has been installed automatically in the My documents (on windows) or go to the help section in Pro tools. The information on Keyboards focus is at page 24.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-14-2014, 03:42 PM

Thanks for responding. However, having tried that, no matter how I switch between the Keyboard Focus mode, it just won't respond to shortcuts like Ctrl + Shift + N or Ctrl + N. Is there any other settings that might be at play?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2014, 04:41 PM

Are you sure your CTRL key is working?

Wave-T.com
Old 10-14-2014, 04:57 PM

Yea it works perfectly otherwise, even in pro tools, i.e. I'm able to cycle through the tools using Ctrl + 1 2 3 4 etc. in whichever Keyboard Focus mode, just strange.

Edit: Upon further inspection, it occurred to me that it might be the problem of my keyboard/windows locale (Chinese). I searched the Chinese Pro Tools community and discovered that people are having the same problem with Win 8/8.1 + PT 10/ 11.

Seems the matter is unsolvable at this point (even when keyboard is set to straight US English). Hope that could be escalated in some ways.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by chocobo; 10-14-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:35 PM

I will bring this up, thanks for looking into it further.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-15-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocobo View Post
Edit: Upon further inspection, it occurred to me that it might be the problem of my keyboard/windows locale (Chinese). I searched the Chinese Pro Tools community and discovered that people are having the same problem with Win 8/8.1 + PT 10/ 11.
Did you try another keyboard during your troubleshooting steps?

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-30-2020, 06:45 PM

Hi I'm facing the same issue on my ProTools 2020. Did you fix it?
Old 11-27-2020, 04:33 AM

Same here, for no apparent reason CTRL stops working in Pro Tools. Works fine in the rest of the programs, but only rebooting can get PT to listen to my keyboard like it should.

(I don't even bother contacting Avid anymore, first thing they do is look for reasons not to be held responsible for silly annoying bugs like this.)