Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2014, 01:37 PM

Default ReVibe 2 go to reverbs?

Does anyone have a favorite reverb preset that they always use? Things like Room Large etc always seem to sound a bit metallic or cavernous.

How do folks approach just giving a vocal - adr perhaps - a bit of space?

What about making adr sound outdoors. Does anyone have a preferred outdoor setting? A small slap back delay helps to make it sound like you're in an alleyway or built up area. Does anyone have a particular favourite preset for this as there are a few?

Interested to know if people even use ReVibe or whether you mainly go straight to Altiverb!
Old 10-19-2014, 06:50 PM

Default Re: ReVibe 2 go to reverbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundburst View Post
Does anyone have a favorite reverb preset that they always use? Things like Room Large etc always seem to sound a bit metallic or cavernous.

How do folks approach just giving a vocal - adr perhaps - a bit of space?

What about making adr sound outdoors. Does anyone have a preferred outdoor setting? A small slap back delay helps to make it sound like you're in an alleyway or built up area. Does anyone have a particular favourite preset for this as there are a few?

Interested to know if people even use ReVibe or whether you mainly go straight to Altiverb!
http://www.exponentialaudio.com
Old 10-19-2014, 06:58 PM

Default ReVibe 2 go to reverbs?

I have a lot of verbs, my favorite's are exponential audio, but Revibe IMO is a great reverb as well, I still use it a lot. There are many great verbs these days, everyone has a opinion , as with wine there are many to chose from
Windows 10 Pro
2013 MacBook Pro Retina i7 Quad-core, 16gb ram.
Mac OSX 10.11.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 128 GB 1866 MHZ DDR3
Graphics AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

PT Ultimate 2022.4.0 on Mac
PT Ultimate 2020.12 on Windows
Logic Pro X 10.6
Nuendo 12.0
1_Antelope Audio_Orion Synergy Core Studio
Old 10-20-2014, 04:55 AM

Revibe to my ears is a tad fizzy. Much prefer Exponential Audio too. Both are great with automation though.
Try the low pass filter, more pre delay and less verb overall and you will get better results with Revibe.

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 10-20-2014, 02:28 PM

Thanks guys will experiment again. It sounds fizzy to me as well but will try the file, pre delay and room size (which is what I'm guessing you mean by reverb, or perhaps you mean decay time)?

My adr tends to sound fake when I stick reverb on it. So it's definitely something I'm doing wrong. Even small room reverb is a bit rubbish. Medium sounds like a large Hall. I'm just hoping to find a setting I can save as I preset for a standard home room as that's where most of my adr ends up being.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:04 AM

Most reverbs are designed so their presets sound good on music emulating stone or wood sounding reflections. Most interiors used for dialogue have people and furnishings, carpets and beds all of which scatter and absorb high frequencies. As suggested above, on ADR you need to Eq the reverb quite drastically, particularly if you are trying to match ADR around boom mic recordings. Revibe is fine for a lot of things. I like Altiverb for person speaking in the next room and some of its outside and really small spaces. It tends not to need as much eq but if the spaces available don't match it's not so tweakable.

Rob Walker AMPS
Old 10-21-2014, 11:38 AM

The absolute best way I've found to match ADR is to persuade the recordist to record simple hand claps in every room where the is dialogue.

Then use exactly the same mic to record the ADR as was used on set at an appropriate distance.

Use Altiverbs import impulse function to make a mono reverb from the hand clap. Put mono reverb only on the centre.

Result.
Seamless.

It has to be thought about before the shoot though, its not always possible.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:16 PM

This works in theory (you can actually use the clap of the slate for this), but I've never found the results convincing.