Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2019, 11:34 PM

Default Re: so happy i did not update my PT ...

I am now out of coverage for the first time. It expired Sunday. I feel happy and free, but also scared. Like standing on a tall rock. I have the security line of yet another few weeks to change my mind (grace period) safely attached to my belt but I hope I have the courage to disconnect that as well. I have the money to pay for updates and I always install the latest version of everything, but I am sick of the bad deal we are getting. I figure that if we do not show Avid that we do not accept the bad model of paying in advance for undisclosed features and bug fixes (which should be free - hell they should be paying me to put up with them for years) there’s no way they will rethink the model. I want the old model back, where you paid if and when there were new features that you wanted. It came out muuuuuuch cheaper for us and gave Avid an incentive to actually come up with good stuff. Or at the very least split updates and support into different plans. I never contact support.

Phone +46707773443
Old 10-15-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldStudios View Post
I am now out of coverage for the first time. It expired Sunday. I feel happy and free, but also scared. Like standing on a tall rock. I have the security line of yet another few weeks to change my mind (grace period) safely attached to my belt but I hope I have the courage to disconnect that as well. I have the money to pay for updates and I always install the latest version of everything, but I am sick of the bad deal we are getting. I figure that if we do not show Avid that we do not accept the bad model of paying in advance for undisclosed features and bug fixes (which should be free - hell they should be paying me to put up with them for years) there’s no way they will rethink the model. I want the old model back, where you paid if and when there were new features that you wanted. It came out muuuuuuch cheaper for us and gave Avid an incentive to actually come up with good stuff. Or at the very least split updates and support into different plans. I never contact support.

Exactly! Well said!

Unfortunately (for us), they will slowly move to the subscription only model.
It was pretty obvious when they sent that email, a few months ago, referring to the future of the industry. Then, mid summer the price hikes and "new product" subscription offerings.
The sign is in the wall.

I'm glad that didn't spend another penny on this ridiculous "annual plan", especially after the 2019.x release fiasco and the price increase that followed.....ridiculous!
The only way to pass the message is this.
No more in advance payments and blind trust, they proved themselves totally untrustworthy and greedy.

Cheers!
Old 10-15-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
Exactly! Well said!

It was pretty obvious when they sent that email, a few months ago, referring to the future of the industry. Then, mid summer the price hikes and "new product" subscription offerings.
The sign is in the wall.

I'm glad that didn't spend another penny on this ridiculous "annual plan", especially after the 2019.x release fiasco and the price increase that followed.....ridiculous!
No more in advance payments and blind trust, they proved themselves totally untrustworthy and greedy.

Cheers!
i know this is the future as well ... Avid cannot go backwards to the old model ... i really hoped the New Model would be good for both sides but it appears at this time it is only good for one side ... time will tell if the Beta Team can keep up with the Bug Fixes and then new features that potentially cause more issues ... they surely are hard working folks that deserve our gratitude for a very hard job !!! thank you !!!

and i leave my options open to when Avid has this all sorted out ... it is taking longer than we all thought, and not to speak for Avid, but it seems like the Model was not quite sorted before they started ... do i love Pro Tools, well, i used to, and hope to once again !!! holding final judgement for about a year / next summer when it has been a year of the New Model and pricing ... come back to us Avid - of should i say, we are here waiting with the Light On for you !!!

please show us why we should come back ... as all of us would like to come back to you !!! so we wait !! and hope !!!

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-15-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
Exactly! Well said!

The sign is in the wall.

Cheers!

Totally agree!
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions

Last edited by foxes; 10-15-2019 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Error
Old 10-15-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
i know this is the future as well ... Avid cannot go backwards to the old model ... i really hoped the New Model would be good for both sides but it appears at this time it is only good for one side ... time will tell if the Beta Team can keep up with the Bug Fixes and then new features that potentially cause more issues ... they surely are hard working folks that deserve our gratitude for a very hard job !!! thank you !!!

and i leave my options open to when Avid has this all sorted out ... it is taking longer than we all thought, and not to speak for Avid, but it seems like the Model was not quite sorted before they started ... do i love Pro Tools, well, i used to, and hope to once again !!! holding final judgement for about a year / next summer when it has been a year of the New Model and pricing ... come back to us Avid - of should i say, we are here waiting with the Light On for you !!!

please show us why we should come back ... as all of us would like to come back to you !!! so we wait !! and hope !!!

cheers john
I don´t get it... I´m paying around 400$ every year now and I get a full studio setup I used to pay 2-3k 20 years ago (electricity NOT included) - since 2019.5 protools is rockstable again - pure pleasure to work with every day (and it was shaky for a while I know..) - I have to go to other DAWs sometimes when clients bring their sessions in and we have to convert them - I´m always super happy to go back to protools - so what am I missing?
Old 10-15-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown_BE View Post
I don´t get it... so what am I missing?

...nothing....you can keep paying...(placement for facepalm emoji).

Cheers!
Old 10-15-2019, 10:43 AM

What's really funny about all of this is there was a time when software developers were telling potential customers that if you buy their software you would get any and all updates for free in perpetuity. This was to be a big selling point for software over hardware, remember I'm talking 30 or so years ago (telling my age here). Apparently that part of software nirvana fell by the wayside.

And I agree that Falcon and the Plugin pack ain't melting my butter nowadays. I just bought Spectrasonics Omnisphere and planning to get the rest of their stuff. I've got plugins like Lexicon, Soundtoys, Waves, Eventide that I own outright and pay Relab $8/month for the time being (not much longer). I'm about to start a new project that I'm going to record at the bands place and I'm taking an HD6 Accel system running PT10 on a fairly modern i7 Win7 PC.

I've got a D-Command main unit that works with PT 2019 along with Avid, Digidesign and Apogee interfaces. If I freeze my upgrade plan now it ain't gonna hurt going forward and the $399 I save will pay for the rest of of a C12 clone I'm building (already got a Tim Campbell CT12 capsule and NOS, tested GE 5-Star 6072A tube from 1964). If I ever get in a situation where I need the latest, greatest I'll just rent it for a month.

I started this trip with a Digi001 in 2002, so I got a right to b!tc#. Avid will owe me a pension in a few years.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:54 AM

Well, my perpetual license support plan expires in December and I will not pay $199. I cannot believe they double the price as an "incentive" for me to go to their subscription model. I thought that $99 was reasonable, bur $199 for the amount of improvements they add is definitely not worth it to me.

Looking at Studio One now-

-dj
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4
Old 10-15-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKeys View Post
Well, my perpetual license support plan expires in December and I will not pay $199. I cannot believe they double the price as an "incentive" for me to go to their subscription model. I thought that $99 was reasonable, bur $199 for the amount of improvements they add is definitely not worth it to me.

Looking at Studio One now-

-dj
Exactly the same here. I was ok paying $99 although even at that price, the slow trickle of updates was a little unnerving. Out of nowhere, and with no incentive (for me) they double the annual. I'm out - my plan expired 6 days ago and I did not renew. Freezing at 2019.6 or whatever the latest is.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:33 PM

It is good to hear that people are showing that they are not happy with the annual payment by actually not paying. We have whined about it for years and so far that has only meant that it became even more expensive. I am on Ultimate and that is just plain silly at 400 per annum. We paid more for the software to start with. We paid a fortune for hardware and then we are expected to pay what used to be four times the amount for what is all but the same software. Silly. I don’t feel better now the price structure is that we pay “only” twice as much. They should have halved the price for Ultimate if anything. But rather keep it at the same level, 100 per year. Or bring a constant wave of big improvements and new features, which at this point is probably impossible to do.

Phone +46707773443